Lakesidetrader

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for information about picture - Polish Armoured?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for information about picture - Polish Armoured?

I've had this picture forever. Are they Polish Armoured Corps? Does anyone recognize the town or city? It's either Belgium or Holland.

Last edited by RobDekk; 02-03-2015, 08:23 PM.

Hmm does not look like the Polish unit (no collar tabs), perhaps 1st Czechoslovak Armoured Brigade?? but I do not see their large national flash and shoulder patch.

Could just be a UK dispatch rider unit.

Comment

Here's a better image of the photo. Look like armoured helmets to me and I don't think British troops paraded with Stens in that position but I could be wrong.

Comment

Looking at the helmet flash i would say polish. The gloves and helmet webbing make it looks like armoured. The question I have, is if the helmet Has a fiber rime on it or not. Judging the flag it is belgium. The name on the wall of the building is "het schuttershuis" which is dutch. So I would say it is taken in the dutch speaking part of belgium, fladern.
        Last edited by border85; 02-04-2015, 02:27 AM.

Comment

Polish for sure.

Comment

Odd Not a Polish Salute though. but might not be able to do it with those gloves on.

Belgium is the place as the name on the back is Flemish as is the 'foto' it would be 'Photo' if in France or Wallonia.

Ok Just found this

"This led to the temporary use of the full hand salute when saluting foreign officers."

Comment

It is for sure the Belgian National colours on the wall.
              On the back of the photo you can read 'Foto G Malfliet Sint-Niklaas" which is a Belgian town. That town was liberated in 1944 by the British 4th Armoured Brigade. As of September 12 1944 they were relieved by the Polish. So these are Polish troops.

The house must be "schuttershof"

If you search in google "Gustave Malfliet" you will come to his WW2 photos.

Cheers

Comment

Collar kits are visible been worn by at least the first four men I have seen many parade photos of Polish units ` wearing ` the sten like this

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X