Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WW2 British Leather Ammunition Powder Bucket No 57 VI BH&G Ltd 3-1944

WW2 British Leather Ammunition Powder Bucket No 57 BH&G Ltd 3-1944

I found this could someone tell me if it has any value?

Thanks a lot

Tom
    Attached Files

Powder buckets were used to carry charges to muzzle loading cannon, which the British stopped using in the 1870s. So, the stamps and the object are not even close to being a match. Also, the crest on it is not a military crest but, I'd guess the arms of some English town or county. Nor ar the stamps the sort usually found on issue equipment of any period I'm familiar with [1750-1950].

So, whatever this is, its not military and its not a powder bucket. I'd guess a souvenir ice bucket or some such, to which the stamps may have been added later by a not very skilled faker! Sorry! Hope you haven't spent a lot of money on it.

Peter

Comment

These are sold widely in the UK as 'powder buckets'. Take a look on ebay UK. Go for around £100.00. I won one on ebay last month for £50.00 but the ba$tard cancelled my bid because they forgot to put a reserve on it! I do agree with some of what Peter says though regarding this example.

Comment

Ok I will blow it out on ebay

Thanks

Tom

Comment

An almost identical one that is in my watch list:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1415441296...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Same markings, stamp etc

Comment

The widely sold ones in the UK are fakes! The example in the National Maritime Museum is of a completely different design and has the name of the ship, as do all the extant examples I've ever seen, rather than a non-nautical coat of arms. An example from the US - HMS Africa, dated 1808, is selling at $1,995US or about L1300. Anyone who buys this c**p without doing the basic research deserves to lose his/her L300, IMO. The small closed buckets, which this purports to be, were used by land based gun crews to carry the charge forward from the limber to the gun.

I'm having trouble inserting an image, but there is an example at this site: http://www.ima-usa.com/original-brit...ated-1808.html

Peter

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X