Netted and scrimmed 44 dated BMB HSAT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Netted and scrimmed 44 dated BMB HSAT

This 1944 dated BMB IMHO it is one of the nicest HSATS I had seen for sale in some time and so I had to add it to my collection it retains all most all of its original dark brown paint and textured finish.
    The liner was manufactured by BMB and is in a nice large size of 7 3/4 the crown pad is still present with the faint out line of chalk around it the sorbo rubber is still quite pliable and supple and the harness is spot on all and all a very nice helmet that has seen very little use.
    The net caught my immediate attention in particular the scrim which is very vibrant in color this caused me to pause it wasn't that I could find any direct fault with it was the over all condition that had me in ah.
    I have done some further research and have talked to a fellow collectors here in Canada and the UK concerning the and scrim the consensus is so far that the scrim can not definitively be pegged down to war time applied this particular type of multi colored burlap scrim made its debut late in the war and was used on the larger camouflage nets on mobile equipment and gun emplacements to name a few this type of scrim was also used post war for some years till the war time supplies were depleted
    The net it self is good and was mid to late war produced the scrim has been tied down and woven through this net for many years
    There is a very good possibility that this net and scrim was late war applied as the condition and wear are consistent with the wear on the helmet and has left a ghost image from were it has been resting so it can stay in place right wear it is as I am quite happy with it and feel it has been on this helmet for many years and it displays rather nice.
    There has been a picture drawn on the crown pad and It would appear to be a drawing of a cottage or house on a cliff face with a small sail boat in the distance and gulls on the horizon.
    Perhaps it was drawn from boredom a soldier thinking about home or perhaps a child that has found a new medium to doodle on we may never really know.
    Thanx for looking any and all comments are welcome.

Regards Mark K
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Canuck67; 01-25-2015, 06:18 AM.

X-2
    Attached Files

Comment

X-3
      Attached Files

Comment

X-4
        Attached Files

Comment

Hi Mark,

Very nice helmet.

Phil.

Comment

Thanks Phil I think I would be hard pressed to find an example in as nice condition as this one.

Regards Mark

Comment

A beauty!

Comment

Thanx Ron I would still like to add a nice field worn example with provenance to my collection yet .

Regards Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Canuck67 View Post
                  Thanx Ron I would still like to add a nice field worn example with provenance to my collection yet .

Regards Mark
                  Actually I think it is a fake and I think you should send it to me to dispose of.

Comment

Ron perhaps you are right I wonder if I need to get the prescription on my glasses checked things do look a little fuzzy as of late.

Regards Mark
                    Attached Files

Comment

Super helmet , Rob
                      God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X