MK II painted NURSE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mandy333 View Post
    Greetings Seigfried: I agree that men who work in the medical field could also be classified as nurses , the statement of a NURSE being a woman was used in direct association to this helmet.
    Best Regards
    Zeke
    I understand that, but it is pure speculation that the owner was a woman. I ask again 'what size is this helmet please?'. That should help clarify the issue.

Comment

Woman's design

Originally posted by Seigfried View Post
      I understand that, but it is pure speculation that the owner was a woman. I ask again 'what size is this helmet please?'. That should help clarify the issue.
      It's a small 7. Look at the physical evidence and think about it. First off the construction and design of the carrier definitely looks feminine.The carrier construction is of a soft cotton with a fashion design, with the shoulder strap of the same material which resembles a purse when worn.(not a khaki webbing carrier that attaches to bags as seen on Air wardens or Rescue workers or medical assistants ) . Also the petite name tag with neat printing. Finally the proudly displayed" NURSE "on the pretty painted helmet . I believe in those days a man in that role would want to project a different image possibly with a Geneva cross or medic insignia. Here's an example of what I am talking about and compare
      Regards
      Zeke
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by mandy333 View Post
        It's a small 7. Look at the physical evidence and think about it. First off the construction and design of the carrier definitely looks feminine.The carrier construction is of a soft cotton with a fashion design, with the shoulder strap of the same material which resembles a purse when worn.(not a khaki webbing carrier that attaches to bags as seen on Air wardens or Rescue workers or medical assistants ) . Also the petite name tag with neat printing. Finally the proudly displayed" NURSE "on the pretty painted helmet . I believe in those days a man in that role would want to project a different image possibly with a Geneva cross or medic insignia. Here's an example of what I am talking about and compare
        Regards
        Zeke
        If you really think that using feminine sounding adjectives such as 'pretty' and 'petite' make this a helmet that belonged to a woman then you are deluding yourself.

What we have is a standard issue helmet which is typical of thousands issued on the Home Front. The title 'nurse' is painted on in the same style as that used for 'warden', 'ARP' and many others. There is nothing 'pretty' about it, it is a functional item. Again the hand writing on the 'petite name tag' is typical of that generation - male or female. I live in the UK and have seen plenty of these in the flesh, although I appreciate that due to your location you probably have limited 'hands on' experience with British Home Front items.
        The carrier is also typical of the era, there is nothing 'feminine' about it whatsoever - it is plain khaki material. It is certainly nothing like a 'purse'. The helmet you show for compare BTW is for a medic, not a nurse. I spent 25 years in the RAMC so I like to think that I know what I am talking about in this department. Men then didn't worry about projecting an image in those days, they were too busy digging out corpses from the rubble.

The final issue is the size. A size 7 is a European 57. This is a large size for a woman, esp in those days. I am a 57 and almost all headgear from the war is a tight fit. This is a generation that grew up with a poor diet in the Depression don't forget.

Overall it is a nice helmet, and the carriers are difficult to find - but to maintain that it is a 'woman's' helmet is stretching it a bit far - it may be, but you cannot be sure so stick to the 'physical evidence' that you mention. Anybody reading this thread can see for themselves and see through the bull****.

I imagine that you cling to this belief of it belonging to a woman in the vain hope that it may somehow increase it's desirability and price.

Comment

I imagine that you cling to this belief of it belonging to a woman in the vain hope that it may somehow increase it's desirability and price.
          The price of such a helmet if sold on the open market would be a premium and very desirable to any homefront collector, previously belonging to a male or female nurse, IMHO. Its the first ive seen and ive seen a few in my time.

Comment

Back slapping

Thank you for your.... interpretation....I'll let the item speak for itself. I'm not sure why the paranoia about monetary value when it was never an issue.
            Regards
            Zeke

Comment

Thank you

Originally posted by dragnet View Post
              The price of such a helmet if sold on the open market would be a premium and very desirable to any homefront collector, previously belonging to a male or female nurse, IMHO. Its the first ive seen and ive seen a few in my time.
              Greetings Dragnet: Thank you for your reply and appreciation of this helmet .
              Best Regards
              Zeke

Comment

hey Zeke, this carrier (on the nurse) I have seen on Warden helmets and Police also, hard to say from the handwriting man or a woman as Siegfried mentioned that was the style at the time, lucky find perhaps on the google search, if it said FAP Trinity St then we could be onto something more solid as Trinity St it pretty common in the UK too of course,
                either way nice lid still

interesting 2nd carrier, looks to be made from a gas mask bag

Comment

appreciated

Originally posted by grndevil44 View Post
                  hey Zeke, this carrier (on the nurse) I have seen on Warden helmets and Police also, hard to say from the handwriting man or a woman as Siegfried mentioned that was the style at the time, lucky find perhaps on the google search, if it said FAP Trinity St then we could be onto something more solid as Trinity St it pretty common in the UK too of course,
                  either way nice lid still

interesting 2nd carrier, looks to be made from a gas mask bag
                  Greetings John: Thanks again for your added information and interest . I really appreciate it and I will make an effort to research this further ....it is what it is.Yes the medic carrier is designed to hook on a gas mask bag. I was trying to refer that earlier. Best Regards
                  Zeke

Comment

would be interested to see more of the other carrier,

Comment

pictures

Originally posted by grndevil44 View Post
                      would be interested to see more of the other carrier,

Greetings John: When the weather permits, I will go outside in natural light and start a new thread.
                      Best Regards
                      Zeke

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X