Fairbairn sykes dagger opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

YES…Scotty1418!

By Scotty1418: "This looks identical to the one that started the thread: http://www.delcampe.net/page/item/id...anguage,F.html"

Bingo…as they say here in America. Again, the very knife in post #1 this thread.

Not a fake, only the STORY is a fake, or incorrectly identified because the Seller of such knife is uneducated to the actual origin of both date of manufacture and marque. Hard to tell what a man means when he makes such claims…was it intentionally misrepresented or an ignorant assertion? …who really here knows!

Jim

Comment

The link does not work it says
      Item does not exist
      Did anyone save the listing?

Comment

It did just leave the auction site, but you can still see what was up for auction by clicking on the small window in the lower left corner titled, "dague Commando".

Originally posted by nickn View Post
        The link does not work it says
        Item does not exist
        Did anyone save the listing?

Comment

Doesn't work for me either.

I note Jim that you collect French SAS knives, are these official issue ones or those commercially available knives marked under the guard SAS etc.

A far as I was aware though willing to be corrected the French FS style knives that were official issue were not marked under the guard with the SAS etc writing but only have serial number.

Comment

To the best of my knowledge (I do not claim "EXPERT" status) , it is a private purchase knife POST-WW2 and estimated as 1945 onwards …but the French translation on the cross guard designates "Le Veritable Marque Et Modele Deposes...SAS" translated to : The real registered design for the Special Air Service.

Regards,

Jim

Originally posted by lyness View Post
            Doesn't work for me either.

I note Jim that you collect French SAS knives, are these official issue ones or those commercially available knives marked under the guard SAS etc.

A far as I was aware though willing to be corrected the French FS style knives that were official issue were not marked under the guard with the SAS etc writing but only have serial number.
            Last edited by missrosalita37; 02-09-2015, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by missrosalita37 View Post
              Yes, if only I could speak French!

OK….(in Scotty1418's post) about half way down the page, on Scotty1418's link http://www.passionmilitaria.com/t293...ses-en-algerie, captioned "e poignard véritable SAS" is the knife the OP left us pictures of on Post #1 this thread. That "Le Veritable ….SAS" post translated to English is translated to state: "...copy of the English dagger ww2 it was Indo and Algeria". Thank you Scotty1418.

Please note: it states "COPY", not fake!

Now, for example Nickn, If my late and departed English grandmother was reported by the executor of her estate to have bequeath me 10,000 GBP, but when I arrived at her lawyers office to claim my inheritance, found instead 88,552.50 FRF….should I not accept the "fake" GBP's?

If anyone here would care to take the time to walk me thru converting my iPhoto pics to a URL, I'd be glad to post a pic or two of a good example of one of my Le Vertitable SAS dagger.

Jim
              This thread has obviously taken many turns. I'd certainly love to see pics.

I think now as has been mentioned, all would accept NON-british mfg and non-ww2 issue/use. It appears to me based on the French-source trolling I did, that it's an example based on the official marked French issues for that post-war 1940s/50s period following the officially marked 'Le Veritable' hilt marked examples.

Certainly a tougher sell without markings or any solid provenance of manufacture/origin, but that would be my opinion thus far.
              ------------------------------------------------
              Collector of French ww2-era insignia.

Comment

Yes.

I would agree. Had I not come by my French SAS dagger from a Vietnam veteran friend, whom I served with, gifting me that dagger that he procured over 38 years ago while serving in Vietnam, I would not have been so adamant regarding it's origin. That's the provenance I operated from. Now, if I could determine how to convert my iPhoto pics into a URL, I'd post picks. I was also gifted by a Vietnamese Marine in my AO, a French Foreign Legion badge found lying on a battle site from some 20+ years earlier. The badge, badly worn and partially deteriorated, still clearly indicates it is a 1st Regiment of the French Foreign Legion badge. It is worthy to note, the Vietnamese Marines, originated from the commando and riverine companies under the French and operated much in the French tradition after its establishment in 1954.

To all I may have seemed doggedly persistent, my humble apologies. This is a great site, one I lurked for more than a year before joining.

Thank you for not drumming out

Best regards,
                Jim

\
                Originally posted by scotty1418 View Post
                This thread has obviously taken many turns. I'd certainly love to see pics.

I think now as has been mentioned, all would accept NON-british mfg and non-ww2 issue/use. It appears to me based on the French-source trolling I did, that it's an example based on the official marked French issues for that post-war 1940s/50s period following the officially marked 'Le Veritable' hilt marked examples.

Certainly a tougher sell without markings or any solid provenance of manufacture/origin, but that would be my opinion thus far.
                Last edited by missrosalita37; 02-09-2015, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Jim
                  May we see your french knife?
                  Was he issued it or did he buy it?
                  Nick

Comment

Nick...

See my post below yours.

Jim

Jim
                    May we see your french knife?
                    Was he issued it or did he buy it?
                    Nick

Comment

Thank you, gentlemen all, for providing some clarification about what seemed, from my largely disinterested point of view a disagreement or misunderstanding over the term 'fake' whcih degenerated, frankly, into a p***ing match. Lots of heat, not much light, as I said earlier. And I assign no blame, but it is discouraging to see two apparently fairly expert aduklts spend so much energy to so little effect.

I hope everyone has a good day. Pax.
                      Peter

Comment

peter
                        we all agreed it was not what it was being sold as
                        a ww2 french resistance dagger
                        hopefully this helped the buyer make up his mind
                        nick

Comment

On the contrary...

I believe we arrived to what it is, fairly certain…and what it isn't VERY certain.

Jim

Comment

Well said
                            If you send me the photos of your knife I would be happy to post them for you

Comment

Ok...

Nick,

Sure…send me your email in my private message action. I'll get some pics, and try to get as close and detailed as I can…for you. I have some from some "for sale" ads that are about as good as I'll be able to get….but I'll get some of mine too. Give me a few days or so to get to that.

Here is the same SAS model knife I have, my handle is a lot more well finished by shape…but knowing how you dislike "links"…I'll get some of mine also

http://www.delcampe.net/item.php?id=...5c370030b93b56

Jim

Well said
                              If you send me the photos of your knife I would be happy to post them for you
                              Last edited by missrosalita37; 02-11-2015, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X