Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fairbairn sykes dagger opinions?

Hi Guys,

I am being offered this fairbairn sykes dagger for trade with my antique tsuba
    But I can't really find out if it is an period piece or not.
    The guy that offers it for trade says the dagger is used by the french resistance in ww2.

here are some pictures:

last one

And here are 2 pictures of the tsuba if anyone is interested in seeing it

The sheath is a selfmade piece the second pattern F&S knife seems to have messed with if i look at the pommel-nut so,..............

Comment

I don't like it, its certainly not a regular second pattern. the blade is to long and the crossguard is a funny shape. Scabbard looks well made but not of a normal pattern, looks similar to french scabbards or could be hand made. Any markings on it anywhere?

Comment

fs is a fake

Comment

Not strictly a fake, but is a post war commercial knife and as jenko says is probably French, though there are some Spanish made knives ina similar style. It definately is not a WW2 origional FS.

Comment

Sorry if the seller is saying its pre 45 and used by the french resistance it's a fake

Comment

Buy the piece, not the story! Caveat Emptor!

Pass!

Comment

Originally posted by nickn View Post
                Sorry if the seller is saying its pre 45 and used by the french resistance it's a fake

Not so, there is a distinct difference between something manufactured as fake to something genuine in its own right but sold with a misleading or incorrect description.

Comment

Fairbairn sykes dagger opinions

This dagger looks like an early version of a commercial French copy of the 2nd pattern FS commonly labelled "Le Veritable-Special Air Service" made in Nogent, France. I have a later example with a similar sheath, but a different grip profile. I am aware of three variations of this knife, but can't say if this one originated during WWII as a "resistance" item.This is the first time I've read such a claim. Usually the association is with Algerian war, meaning the 1950's. The blade on mine appears to be stainless steel and is 7.25", significantly longer than the usual 6.6 to 7 inches of the authentic British FS.That would appear to be the case here, note the long slim scabbard. This piece is aged, so it could be early 1950's perhaps. Mine was made in the 1990's.

Comment

Originally posted by 48RMC View Post
                    The sheath is a selfmade piece the second pattern F&S knife seems to have messed with if i look at the pommel-nut so,..............
                    It's normal for the pommel nut to have marks from the vise during the assembly process at the factory. It does not necessarily indicate that the knife has been messed with.

Comment

Le poignard "COMMANDO" Modèle 'Super Nogent'

Overall lenght: ca. 276 mm
                      Blade lenght: ca. 160 mm

As far as I know, this dagger was in the 50´s, also, in the early 60´s adopted in the 'Commandos de Marine' in Algeria.

Rumor´s say, also belgian "Commandoes" used the "Nogents", also, earlier, the French Foreign Legion in Indochine ? ...

Further informations are welcome.

Thx. in advance,
                      R.
                      Attached Files

Comment

2.):

Markings, stamped upon the crossguard:

LE COMMANDO INOX

MARQUE & MODELE DEPOSES - SUPER NOGENT
                        Attached Files

Comment

3.):

Markings, stamped upon the sheat:
                          BREVETE´ DEPOSE' MADE IN FRANCE

Press button stamped with:
                          DAUDE PARIS
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by nickn View Post
                            fs is a fake
                            Please, define what you mean with, this dagger is a "fake".

Thx. in advance,
                            R.

Comment

Originally posted by Infanteer View Post
                              It's normal for the pommel nut to have marks from the vise during the assembly process at the factory. It does not necessarily indicate that the knife has been messed with.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X