Pencil detonators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pencil detonators

I believe these were send to Danish resistance during WW2.

Any idea of the timer delay? The "white" safety? must be the code...

Henrik
    Attached Files

Last
    Attached Files

Comment

The white tab indicates the length of delay. My British reference is not to hand, however I think it is the same as those used by the American OSS. The delay was 1 hour and 20 minutes at 77 degrees F. but the delay was seventeen and one half hours at zero degrees F. and only twenty minutes at 125 degrees F. In practice however I wonder if they were really as accurate as the times stated. Regards, Clive.

Comment

marking

Hi,
        Black =10 min.
        Red = 30 min.
        White = 2 hours
        Green = 6 hours
        yellow = 20 hours
        Blue = 30 hours
        These informations is taken from a danish police manual from the war.
        Regards
        Rasmus

Comment

Hi

Thank you very much Nice to know what I have here.

Henrik

Comment

Henrik

Are these detonators still 'lice' or have they been deactivated? I ask because almost all explosives become increasingly unstable with age. I worked with mining explosives in my youth and have some acquaintance with military explosives too and the thought of somebody handling 60 year old detonators scares the S*** out of me!

You might want to consider having these dealt with by an expert - lovely relics but, in the worst case scenario, not worth losing a hand or dying for!

Peter

Comment

You make a good point Peter, I often wonder if the Time Pencils we see at various Arms fairs are in fact inert. I heard some years back at a reunion held at the WW2 OSS Training base at Brockhall of an American who blew off several fingers whilst fooling with Time Pencils. How true this was I can not say, but from then onward I always held these items in far more regard and respect. Just wonder if any forum member has knowledge or experience of what Time pencils are capable of?

Comment

The time pencils themselves are pretty safe. The only explosive within the pencil itself is a primer, similar to that on rifle cartridge. It is "fired" when the pencil is crushed, which breaks an ampoule of acid contained within the body which dissolved a thin spring loaded wire. When the wire snaps, a striker hits the primer which goes off. You have to place a blasting cap in the end of the pencil to really have much risk or effect.

Comment

Time Pencil Diagrams

How they work...
                  Attached Files

Comment

A sectioned pencil and one with a blasting cap

More info. Pics from the net.
                    Attached Files

Comment

These things are really interesting, and I am happy to find out they are safe to own.
                      Former partisans were telling me about these several times. How were you supposed to crush the glass ampule in action. With your teeth like in the movies?

JL

Comment

re pencils n°10

Hi,

thanks for this interesting news about detonators.

I post an oss pencils table's pic:

We can see that time depends temperature.

FAB

Comment

Originally posted by Jean-Loup View Post
                          These things are really interesting, and I am happy to find out they are safe to own.

JL
                          Me too! I was thinking of them as if they were more like blasing caps, which will remove not only fingers but eyes and other sensitive bits if they go wrong.

Is Seebee has it right, then these are nasty too. Does anybody have first hand experience with time pencils?

Peter
                          Last edited by peter monahan; 09-11-2010, 09:43 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X