Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Medals valuation please!

Hallo out there,
    Can any of you medal buffs help?? I have been offered £250.00 (UK Pounds) for a small collection of medals – (please see scans). Is that a reasonable price??
    I'm not a medal man but I want to sell them but I do not know what they could be worth. I know that the South African Medal with the three clasps could be worth something. It is not named but the other two WW1 medals with it are. They are marked 2DG-4612 PTE A.GORDON 2.D.GDS which I am guessing is the 2nd Life Guards.
    The WW2 UK medals I know are not worth much.
    Also I have attached are some Austrian medals that date from WW1.
    As I said, I've been offered £250.00,-- should I take it??
    I look forward to hearing from anyone who might be able to help.
    Cheers,
    Terry.
    Attached Files

The unamed QSA has the most common 3 clasps, and the regiment on the WWI pair is the 2nd Dragoon Guards ( Queen's Bays), not the 2nd Life Guards. The WWI pair,, if the total entitlement, not missing a 1914 or 1914-15 Star, are worth probably 75-100 pounds. I would think less for the QSA, so, IMHO, 250 pounds is too high.

Bob Shoaf

Comment

Hi Bob,
      Thanks for the info.
      I've been trying to get more photos of the other medals on the forum but at the moment it won't accept them.
      If you've got time please have a look in a few minutes the other photos I hope will be on by then.
      Cheers,
      Terry

Comment

b)
        Attached Files

Comment

c)
          Attached Files

Comment

d)
            Attached Files

Comment

e) In the lower photo you can see the edge of the WW1 medals which are on the bar with the South Africa Medal. They are marked 2DG-4612 PTE A.GORDON 2.D.GDS which I am guessing is the 2nd Life Guards.
              Attached Files

Comment

f)
                Attached Files

Comment

I have been reliably informed that the inscription 2DG-4612 PTE A.GORDON 2.D.GDS on edge of the two WW1 medals is from the 2nd Dragoon Guards ( Queen's Bays), not the 2nd Life Guards.
                  Thanks!

Comment

medals

It looks like the QSA has been erased. Look at the rim between the "t" and "r" of Victoria, you'll see the rim get thinner.

Comment

South Africa Medal

Hi Paul,
                      I've had a very close look at the rim of the medal and you are right! You can see the faint remains of the original holders name just visible. If you look very closely at the latest photo I have attached you can just make out very faint darker marks on the rim (on the left) which are the remains of the original name. The name as you said must have been rubbed back ...probably because it was a replacement medal? I spoke with someone about it this morning and he said that replacements were quite common. The makers also apparently machined off the dates (“ghost dated”) from the previously minted medals when it became quite clear that the Boer War was going to drag on well past 1900!!...which apparently makes this a Type II. plus the fact that the wreath in Britannia's hand points to the 'R' in 'AFRICA' on the reverse. You can actually still see the remnants of the original dates in my first photos.
                      Well, I learned all this this morning!!
                      Thanks for your info. which set me on this trail of discovery
                      Cheers,
                      Terry.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X