Interrogation about the British service medal/order

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interrogation about the British service medal/order

Simply ask and can't really find the awnser I was looking for on the web or in my books. Is the Imperial Service medal and order still awarded to every civil servent of the commonwelth or only the British keep the decoration in use ?

Manu

The ISM is still awarded, in theory, to British civil servants and apparently the government of Papua New Guinea still submits names to Her Majesty for the award - 25 years service - but they appear to be the only member of the former empire which does so. At least, so says Wikipedia.

The Imperial Service Order was abolished in 1993 because, historically, it had been awarded to the upper classes and this was felt to be too elitist in this democratic age.

I'm trying to think of a Canadian equivalent to the ISM but none comes to mind nationally, though I know several provinces have Long Service / Good Conduct medals for the police and fires services, so there may be some for civil serpents as well.

My two cents worth.

Peter

Comment

The Imperial service order was suspended in 93 the ISM is still given out for 25 years non managerial civil service at least in the UK.

Most if not all CW countries now have thier own honours systems about the only 'common' medal is the VC in its various forms.

Comment

Thanks to both of you for those informations, really appreciate!

Comment

The ISM is still awarded in the UK. The ISO has been disestablished in the UK and survives in the Commonwealth realms only - as does the BEM. All relevant imperial honours are available within the Commonwealth realms, the deciding factor is whether a country has its own equivalent award, e.g. in Papua New Guinea the ISM is not needed due to PNG having the Public Service LSM. That said, PNG now has several civic awards that will eventually take over from the UK system. PNG is particularly noteworthy as it's the largest of the former colonies/territories that still incorporate the imperial system.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X