Roger Bender (1940-2020) - Note to Forum Staff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, sincerest thanks, Dietrich.

Roger would be very justifiably proud of this.
    I'm working to have the same thing done at AHF.

And also in his honor, working on a vastly improved and expanded first two volumes of the "Gauleiter" series, as well as the third volume on which Roger was working so diligently when he passed. He'd formatted 380 pages of text in just over a month. Tireless to the end.

~ Mike

Comment

Fitting tribute

Very glad to see this fitting tribute to a great gentleman.

Comment

Mods, great idea renaming the forum for him, and kudos to you all.

I would have to believe 100% of the people on this forum have either owned a "Bender Book" or have consulted one at some point in their collecting career.

Hard to believe he started out in 1967--he would have been only 26 years old back then.

RIP, RJB.
        NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Originally posted by Dietrich Maerz View Post
          It is done.
          Dietrich
          I didn’t know Roger Bender in person, but I own several Bender books!

Great to see that he is honored with naming this forum section after him

Comment

My first book in English and first book on W-SS was Jost W. Schneider's Their Honor was Loyalty! published by Roger J. Bender. In following years purchased many other books written or published by Mr. Bender, e.g. all volumes of Mark Yerger's on German Cross in Gold holders.

I always loved and highly regard books published by Roger J. Bender, in particular high end paper quality, great photos and exceptional content. Those books are essential to our hobby and are "textbooks" and obligatory reading to members. To name one - Angola's book on cloth insignia of SS became bible to every collector and those old copies are now available for excesive amount of money.

I am really sorry to read that Roger J. Bender died. Condolence to the family and RIP.

Jan

PS:And I am happy, that the reaction of board staff/owner was such, that the name of the section was changed instantly. Many thanks!

Comment

Sad news indeed. Although I never met Roger, I corresponded with him for over 50 years. A kind and gracious man who always took the time to respond to letters, calls or emails for even the most mundane questions. Some of my first books were his. His impact on our hobbies cannot be overstated. I can't imagine what it would be like without the books he wrote or published. I myself own over 90 of his books and refer to them continuously. We have lost a giant. So long my friend.

Mark Costa

Comment

Sad news, but thankful for all his works!

His books opened a world for me regarding information and items pre-internet times!
                They gave me interest and fun in this hobby.
                And in internet times they remain a backbone for studying and collecting.
                The books set a bar for other published works and are collectibles on their own.

I hope his business will be continued!

All the best to his family

Comment

A correction to the title of this thread: I got his year of birth wrong. He was born two weeks after the start of Unternehmen "WeserĂĽbung" and a bit over two weeks before the start of Fall Gelb-- that is, 23 April 1940.

~ Mike

Comment

Originally posted by ivbaust View Post

Exactly my position.

Comment

End of an era and a legend in the field of Militaria collectibles research publishing. Communicated through e mail often and wow he was a gent that’s for sure.
                      Always look forward immensely to the military advisor dropping through my mail box, early to ask I know but are there plans/ any one in the business who will now take up the mantle ����

Comment

Well said Michael and a fitting tribute to a true gentleman.

Comment

Originally posted by ivbaust View Post

Ditto for me as well.
                          Alan

Comment

His step son is here in my shop right now. Having a good little remembrance of him. Here is the obit for him.

https://www.darlingandfischergardenc...s/Roger-Bender
                            Last edited by Gary Cain; 02-06-2020, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Did he say anything about the future of Bender Publishing?

Comment

Countless thanks to you, Gary, for providing the link to Roger's obituary. His passing leaves a vast emptyness in so many lives. Our hobby will never be the same again -- he so enjoyed being one of us!

Br. James

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X