Charité at War, Netflix series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charité at War, Netflix series

Haven't seen this mentioned here yet but i've just started watching the netflix series Charité at war and can thoroughly recommend it. No one does WW2 movies like the Germans and after 2 episodes i'm impressed.
    Starting in 1943 it's set around the Charité hospital in Berlin. There's some great uniform eye candy here and i've yet to spot any obvious errors other than some poor English text translation. Seems very balanced and fair at the moment, taking on the complexities of living in the country at the time and the full range of political stances to the regime.
    Even the Lapplandfront got a mention in the first episode, so i'm happy.

https://www.netflix.com/no-en/title/81081067
    Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Looks great, Simon. Thank you. I’ll definitely watch it.

Comment

Perhaps I am a touch homophobic, but the gay love affair was a bit off-putting, and the Russians at the end were all very sympathetic and caring.....

Uniform detail was quite good, but the SS doctor wearing a WW1 EK II ribbon and spange on his ribbon bar, and also a WW2 EK II ribbon through his button hole on the tunic was a bit of a clanger too. The visor caps looked quite good, although they were obvious post-war creations.

I watched it through to the end, so I guess it got me hooked, and the medical side of it showed that they had put a fair bit of research into the subject. (stating that simply as a complete novice on medical procedures).

Bob

Comment

Bob, my thoughts and observations exactly. The last episode was a bit weak, clearly didn't dare upset the Russians, though there was mention of trying to keep the young nurses safe.

I thought they did well with Kaltenbrunner, looked remarkably like him.
        Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Simon, thanks for the heads-up--just started watching it, and even the wife (who basically cannot stand TR shows) likes it.

I was completely unaware of this hospital, and the cast of (real) personalities that walked it's halls--Sauerbruch; Stoeckel; Jung, etc.

I give an A+ to the set director--the med/surg equipment/facilities look dead-on.
          Cars even have the correct "IA" Berlin prefix.

Only 2 inaccuracies I have seen--the doctor calls an Obersturmfuhrer and "Obersturmbannfuhrer"; the second being v. Stauffenberg meeting with Sauerbruch's son in the Fall of '43, advising he is going to Tunisia (minor stuff).

If you ever fall ill/get injured in Europe, this is the place you want them to send you!
          NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

I will give it a look see thanks.

Comment

It was better than average. I didn't mind the gay story line as that has not been shown in WW2 war dramas.

Comment

Really enjoyed it!

Wish they would have stretched it out more than a short miniseries.

Had no clue until the end that it was based on true events. Have a friend in Berlin at the moment - I was telling her to check out the series and in describing it she mentioned "Oh, I walk by there every day!"
                ------------------------------------------------
                Collector of French ww2-era insignia.

Comment

Watched all episodes. Very good. As noted the Germans really do WW2 movies and series quite well. The touches of historical accuracy were also done well. Fritz Kolbe the ministry spy funneling information to the OSS in Switzerland was real. He was considered one if not the deepest asset we had in the government of the Third Reich.

Comment

Originally posted by irish View Post
                    Watched all episodes. Very good. As noted the Germans really do WW2 movies and series quite well. The touches of historical accuracy were also done well. Fritz Kolbe the ministry spy funneling information to the OSS in Switzerland was real. He was considered one if not the deepest asset we had in the government of the Third Reich.
                    In the end the summary states that he was not able to prove his assistance to allow for continued employment with the ministry postwar?
                    ------------------------------------------------
                    Collector of French ww2-era insignia.

Comment

I enjoyed looking. When I see it on another net coming, I will look it again.

Comment

Originally posted by scotty1418 View Post
                        In the end the summary states that he was not able to prove his assistance to allow for continued employment with the ministry postwar?
                        This is true. He was shunned by the new West German government post war. He emigrated to the US briefly. The US gave him a little assistance. Allen Dulles his main OSS contact in Switzerland during the war tried to help him but even he had limited success. In post war Germany it seemed there were many anti Nazi groups everywhere or at leas those that wanted now to be seen that way. However Kolbe who took great risks during the war was kept at arms length.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X