No announcement yet.

Chernobyl - 2019 TV Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My wife and I binged watched this today.

I agree with others comments, a very strong piece of work.

I appreciated the mix of high level ( and easy to understand) facts and causes and the low level impact.

Comment

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michael.../#196415311e07

Comment

Hmmm... let's see if any other medical experts weigh in. Dude sounds a bit like a Soviet apologist.

My wife was a little girl in Romania at the time and remembers being lined up to be given iodine tablets. She also said that the Soviet government wouldn't tell the Romanian government anything about why radiation was drifting into their country, so don't let that Dr. bull**** us about the Soviets being transparent. Ceausescu, as evil and stupid as he was, also went to the extreme of asking Western nations, including the USA, for help because he wasn't getting squat from the Soviets.

I trust my wife more than some potential Soviet sympathizer from Commifornia.
        Last edited by TWS; 06-17-2019, 09:26 AM.

Comment

http://www.unis.unvienna.org/unis/en...nisinf398.html

Comment

TWS, don't make the same mistake I did of feeding the troll. It seems like when you dispute his comments with facts he ignores them.

Pasoleati, if my previous comment triggers you an emotional outcry, feel free to take it up with me in a PM so you don't litter this thread with even more nonsense. I have the day off so I need some entertainment.

Comment

Originally posted by John4022 View Post
              TWS, don't make the same mistake I did of feeding the troll. It seems like when you dispute his comments with facts he ignores them.
              I'll keep that in mind. The UCLA doctor wasn't wrong on everything that he criticized the HBO series on. However, his article stank of him being a bit proud of himself for being invited there and reflexively defended his hosts.

I am neither a nuclear physicist nor any kind of MD, but I did undergo a good bit of NBC training in the Army and I think Dr. Lefty is somewhat correct in his criticism about the series portraying the victims as being highly radioactive and able to contaminate other people after they themselves had undergone external decontamination.

BUT, his seeming attempts to negate both the incompetence that caused the accident and obsession with secrecy in the immediate aftermath that made it worse make me think he is a least a bit of a commie sympathizer douche bag.

Comment

Very well put TWS, I completely agree. I am not experienced in this area either.

This is all for the sake of discussion and I am not trying to question anyone that is more knowledgeable than me regarding this topic.

This is my question regarding contacting radiation doses from contaminated victims. If the bodies aren't contaminated, why were they buried in cement? I certainly wouldn't want to hold hands and sit next to Vasily Ignatenko without any protection.

Comment

Thanks for posting those, good to have another perspective.

Comment

The number of deaths from the Chernobyl accident, direct and indirect can be disputed. But in the long run, we know what ionizing radiation does to our cells. It mutates them, and we know very well that mutations in cells is closely related to Cancer.
                    Depending on how much ionizing radition you're exposed to and for how long is the key however will it affect you.
                    E.g. spending 1 hour exposed to 1 Sievert is a lot more harmfull than 10 days in 0.1 Sieverts exposure.

Regarding the firefighters being radioactive, I don't know. Smoke and other particles inhaled considered.
                    What I do know is that their clothes still located in the basement of the Pripyat hospital, remain until present day highly radioactive even after 33 years. Measuring levels of 0.3 - 0.5 Sieverts I recall from a video where the radition of them were measured.

Comment

Danson, since you probably speak Finnish, you should take a look at Mikko Paunio's latest blog on the very topic. Dr. Paunio has been the chairman of the government Radiation Safety Board since 2009.

Comment

Very well put TWS, I completely agree. I am not experienced in this area either.

This is all for the sake of discussion and I am not trying to question anyone that is more knowledgeable than me regarding this topic.

This is my question regarding contacting radiation doses from contaminated victims. If the bodies aren't contaminated, why were they buried in cement? I certainly wouldn't want to hold hands and sit next to Vasily Ignatenko without any protection.
                        To me the fear of radiation from another human as shown in the series illustrated a lack of understanding at different levels, I didn’t think it was suggesting it could spread from one to another after decontamination. The people who became sick were all in the vicinity of the site when the explosion occurred.

Comment

Thanks.

With regards to the people who had already gone through decon and then died, it may have been an additional safety measure to err on the side of caution because external decon is not 100% due to ingested radiation. I don't know if the scene showing the bodies being placed in a crate, then in a lead coffin, then buried under cement was historically accurate. However, the sad side story of the soldiers having to kill all of the abandoned pets and then the dogs and cats being buried under fresh concrete... those animals had not undergone decon obviously so their external surfaces, hair, etc. was full of radioactive particles.

Comment

Really enjoyed the series, well made, realistic, informative and it has certainly inspired me to dig deeper into some lap-top research into events.

Sure, the series is not, and cannot be, 100% on every single detail however, I think they achieved a great result in the overall presentation.

This programme on BBC i-player is well worth a watch, 'Inside Chernobly's Mega Tomb';

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...byls-mega-tomb

Regards Richard.
                            Always looking for Luftwaffe Kampfflieger related document groups. In particular anything to Kampfgeschwader 2.

Comment

I watched the first few episodes and didn't find it that great. I might have to watch more now based on good WAF reviews.

Comment

At first viewing the UK accents were slightly annoying, but just following the story it came out to be a positive series. I liked the trial in last episode, how true to reality not sure but it sounded good. One thing for certain is after seeing the video of the guy in charge of the control room he really looks the same, a dkhead.
                                Last edited by Kelly w; 07-13-2019, 12:23 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X