No announcement yet.

Chernobyl - 2019 TV Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I loved the Mini-Series of Chernobyl, I had high expectations s I've read a lot about the Chernobyl disaster, my expectations were fully met. What was of particular interest is how the Soviet regime and system was portrayed, something that hasn't been well presented on TV. Chernobyl, Glasnost, how the fall of the Union began to speed up.

If there's one book I could recommend about the rise of the Soviet Union, its atrocities and how the structure of power was built on lies and denial to the public: The Black Book of Communism.

Comment

Originally posted by WalterB View Post
      So the whole Exclusion Zone is just a fabrication?
      Where did I claim that? However, the fact is that nature is doing very well in those abandoned areas today. Reports from the area make that very clear. Both flora and fauna are flourishing.

By the way, many of those health risks would have been avoided had the Soviet authorities acted quickly and distributed iodine tablets for the general population.

Comment

Originally posted by pasoleati View Post
        Where did I claim that? However, the fact is that nature is doing very well in those abandoned areas today. Reports from the area make that very clear. Both flora and fauna are flourishing.

By the way, many of those health risks would have been avoided had the Soviet authorities acted quickly and distributed iodine tablets for the general population.
        I'm delighted to know about all of Chernobyl's positive impacts to the local wildlife.
        ------------------------------------------------
        Collector of French ww2-era insignia.

Comment

Member pasoleati reminds me of the holocaust deniers when they say something to the effect of "oh, it wasn't as bad as they make it out to be"

Chet
          Zinc stinks!

Comment

Chernobyl...

This thread reminded me of this article that I read earlier this week. Long story short, scientist lived in the exclusion zone for 90 days, here's his story:

https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/n...us-grow-better

Comment

Originally posted by scotty1418 View Post
              I'm delighted to know about all of Chernobyl's positive impacts to the local wildlife.
              Some wild animals might have grown some extra limbs but don't pay attention to that because the Finns are currently being exposed to radon gas. Two negatives make a positive, don't listen to the anti-nuclear propagandists spreading fake news.

Comment

John's emotional outcry reminds of the case of a Canadian Indian village supposedly suffering from undue number of deformed babies caused by uranium mining. Anti-nuclear propagandists shamelessly used that case. Yet, when the village was subjected to careful medical study, it was discovered that the small population had lived in isolation for generations and the population had become inbred causing those deformities.

Hint: people live and prosper today in Hiroshima and Nagasaki, yet those cities were subjected to far greater radiation exposure than 99.9 % of those "Chernobyl victims".

Comment

Originally posted by pasoleati View Post
                  Hint: people live and prosper today in Hiroshima and Nagasaki, yet those cities were subjected to far greater radiation exposure than 99.9 % of those "Chernobyl victims".
                  Wrong, Fat Man contained around 14 pounds of plutonium while Little Boy had 140 pounds of uranium. Chernobyl had 180 tons of nuclear fuel resulting in 400 times the amount of radiation that was emitted from the bombs. Also, the atomic bombs that were dropped detonated over 1500 ft above the earths surface. Therefor causing much of the radiation to disperse from the mushroom cloud rather than being absorbed directly into the soil below. Meanwhile, Chernobyl dispersed its poison at ground level.

But what the hell do I know. I'm just a 22 year old that has emotional outcries.

With that out of the way, I strongly recommend watching Chernobyl to anyone that might be interested. Its a show that allows viewers to see how fast ignorance and mismanagement can lay the foundation to a disaster. This show made me think that even today we have individuals in high governing positions that are in charge of things they simply do not understand. This show leaves you with one question, what is the cost of lies?

Comment

Originally posted by John4022 View Post
                    Wrong, Fat Man contained around 14 pounds of plutonium while Little Boy had 140 pounds of uranium. Chernobyl had 180 tons of nuclear fuel resulting in 400 times the amount of radiation that was emitted from the bombs. Also, the atomic bombs that were dropped detonated over 1500 ft above the earths surface. Therefor causing much of the radiation to disperse from the mushroom cloud rather than being absorbed directly into the soil below. Meanwhile, Chernobyl dispersed its poison at ground level.
                    John4022, you are spot on. Would add that the effects at that level of radiation from Chernobyl on unborn children were horrific. I had watched a tv program on this subject back in the 1990's done by a Western news team that was allowed access to visit those children. This video shows pretty much what the news team filmed. It is very disturbing viewing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VffZ2sSZ30M

Comment

Originally posted by John4022 View Post
                      Some wild animals might have grown some extra limbs but don't pay attention to that because the Finns are currently being exposed to radon gas. Two negatives make a positive, don't listen to the anti-nuclear propagandists spreading fake news.

This lamb was born in New Zealand!

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...w-Zealand.html

Comment

Originally posted by Seigfried View Post
                        Didn’t see where it was from. Good thing it’s not from Chernobyl, it adds more authenticity to my absurd comment that shouldn’t be taken seriously.

Comment

I lived in Warsaw, Poland when Charnobyl happened and I was in high school. Since that was communist times, we had a home defense class and training at school and school had some basic para military equipment like gas masks and old Geiger radiation detectors from 50's used for training. Normally those old Geiger detectors never showed anything, but they did show some radiation present during those days.

What was sad, was that Soviets tried to keep it a secret and nothing was announced until Western countries (Sweden) detected radioactivity in the atmosphere. Then we were given Iodine. There was a rain later on during that day in Warsaw. Many people I know who remember to get wet by that rain have health issues today.

You can only imagine effects on people who lived closer.

Jack

Comment

I remember those days well. It became a huge part of contemporary popular culture, being a big factor on tv shows, newspapers (even music) and so on but then it kind of disappeared without trace for a long time. Here is one example from the year after a song with the line 'Mother Russia rain down down down'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o-6ftmw8CE

There was also 'When the Wind blows' a terrifying cartoon about nuclear holocaust and radiation fallout poisoning that came out not long after (no connection to the accident just a coincidence).

I remember as well there being lots of worries about the rain clouds bringing radiation across Europe and down into farm stocks and food supplies. I believe cancer rates have increased Europe wide since then but no idea if it is linked to this or to other things like more processed food, more chemical interference in the food supply and water table and so on.

Comment

My mother also mentioned the rains after the event, that going outside when raining wasn't allowed.

She grew up on a farm, in an area in Finland where (one of the) worst fallouts came down up here. She told that all the animals on the farm had to be kept inside for the summer. They were advised against eating anything that was growing on the fields and in the forest that year (such as mushrooms and berries).

Comment

Fantastic show..! Hands down the best drama of the year..

In the mid 90's I was at art school and attended a lecture by a visiting scientific illustrator. This was pre digital photography, and pre digital microscopes so images observed under the microscope were then rendered by artists for use in scientific publications. The artist, and I forget her name, had recently produced a series of drawings of insects taken as samples from the "exclusion zone", and I can assure you there were mutations..!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X