Mark Yerger passed away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by John P. Moore View Post
    It has been two years since Mark Yerger died. While Mark certainly contributed much to the body of knowledge concerning the Waffen-SS it is clear that his work lacked the objectivity to be of genuine historical significance. I came across these piece today that is worth reading and thinking about,

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_C._Yerger

A key point of this essay stated, "Historians consider his portrayals to be uncritical, inadequate, and euphemistic."

I must say that my own thinking about the Waffen-SS has evolved in recent years and I currently pursue my research with a much greater degree of objectivity. My recent work with a professor in Helsinki has led to the realization that even the "Wiking" division had engaged in widespread war crimes since its early days. I once held that division in high regard, but no longer. I offer this advice to authors of literature concerning the Waffen-SS - Do you want your work to be remembered for its objectivity, depth of information and historical significance or do you want to be remembered as Mark Yerger is?

John Moore

You may not agree with his work or his view, but there is a right place to express whatever views you may have of him. This thread isn't it. The fact that you make such a statement in this thread reflects more poorly on you that on Mark.
    Last edited by WalterB; 09-28-2018, 09:19 PM.
    When you go home
    Tell them for us and say
    For your tomorrow
    We gave our today

--Inscription in the 5th Marine Division cemetery,
    Iwo Jima 1945

Comment

pot and kettle

Great news on your conversion by way of the road to Damascus John Moore. I guess it’s easier these days for mature authors like yourself to speak freely since all the Vets you hoovered relentlessly for their information (and used to fill your coffers) are now dead and buried.

I look forward to reading an updated version of your Signal Officers of the WSS – especially the biography of Adolf Diekmann. I challenge any member to google that infamous name and not find reference to the massacre at Oradour sur Glane – the one paramount fact that he is known for.

And yet, not one mention of that incident in your book.

What a shameful legacy that is, as is your constant digs at Yerger since he passed.

Comment

Really ??????????

Criticize a man when he has passed ?????????????????

Words of a coward and totally unacceptable.

Comment

Congrats on your epiphany. Ill-advised and poor manners to share it here, as others have already pointed out. But you've never been known for having any sense of decorum.

From http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...hlight=blivet:

"I am in complete agreement with Mark Yerger's comments. While some of you may disagree with what we say, stop for a moment and consider that perhaps we know what we are talking about. Mark and I both have put out quality publications for over 20 years and have invested considerable money in necessary research along with having actually met the people we write about. We both read a lot and have extensive libraries and archives. I believe that we are a good judge of what constitutes a good book. I don't see it here with Mike Miller. When someone boasts about their new masterpiece all over the Internet, they should be prepared for some criticism if their work comes up short in the view of some."
          ~ John P. Moore

It should be noted that you had not even seen the book in question when you made that and numerous other comments attempting to run it through the muck.

You once advised readers to avoid my work, and I would advise aspiring authors to seek advice from someone other than a cantankerous hypocrite.

Yerger, for all his faults, produced an actual, substantial body of work. And in the last two weeks of his life, he wrote numerous emails to me advising me of projects he believed I could and should do, as well as the specific things I'd need to do to carry them through to completion. They were not of great interest to me and I did not have the skill or inclination to do them. As I've always conceded, the Waffen-SS is not my specialty or primary area of focus; I'm more interested in Gauleiters, SA leaders, and general rank officers of the SS. But I was enormously touched by the gesture. Although things soured considerably in later years, as Mark saw my humble efforts on RK and DK holders as intruding on what he felt was his jurisdiction, he was my mentor as far back as 1997. At that point, I had not even started my website, and the idea of writing ANY book seemed to me completely outside of my skill set. His encouragement and specific advice helped to remove my doubts. Mark Yerger taught me that I could produce quality work for reputable publishers.

~ Mike
          Last edited by Michael Miller; 09-29-2018, 11:00 AM.

Comment

I looked forward to Mark Yerger's release of his DK in Gold series published by Rodger Bender and over those years I bought some prints and aviation books which Mark had placed for sale on "E- Stand", I found him to be straightforward and easy to do business with and in some general talk about aircraft / music etc a decent sort and as an individual okay. I do not pretend to say I knew him well but my contacts with him were good and I remember him as an individual within that context.
            It soon became apparent that MY was a man who was always trying to beat the clock, time was never on his side and what seemed like a hard shell hide a vulnerability, who would have wanted to change places with him, not I.
            Mark's books as a source of information I liked but I tend not to read in isolation and I have yet to find any one source to be absolute.
            Mark was on very friendly terms with a number of senior Waffen SS veterans, he knew many as friends and mentors whilst this did provide him with some excellent primary research material one has to bear this in mind I consider Mark's legacy as being part of an overall history which is still being researched and written.
            Now some might say I am being diplomatic, whilst I give Mark much credit for his work which I have enjoyed and continue to use it is one author's views, perceptions, and interpretation.
            (All of which have to be looked at in the context of the research/body of evidence which exists through other authors and historians).
            Last edited by behblc; 09-29-2018, 01:55 PM.

Comment

In my limited communications with Yerger he never quite struck me as a guy who worried himself much about what people thought, kind of what I prefer in people personally as they typically are what they appear to be, don't have to waste time guessing. You have to read everything because there are always multiple truths and with politics and war its even more complicated and you need context. Truth floats in context.

Writing books worrying about what people might say about you now or after you croak is not honest, you rob everyone including yourself because you want some group to view you as whatever, makes no sense to me. Some of these critics and PC Euro people are not really worth the time, so why try and please them with fluff. Kind of surprised to see these comments here as well, would not have taken much to plop them on a new thread.

Comment

Originally posted by John P. Moore View Post
                My recent work with a professor in Helsinki has led to the realization that even the "Wiking" division had engaged in widespread war crimes since its early days.

John Moore
                What is the name of that professor in Helsinki? Perhaps you should be aware of the fact great many Finnish history professors are active leftists. Quite frankly, the recent claims by some Finnish "historians" on the Finnish battalion and the division as a whole rest on, let's say it midly, completely ideologized interpretation of sources. After all, not a single journalist paid any critical attention to what the spokesman of the Green party said in an interview: "Communism is a beautiful ideology."
                Last edited by pasoleati; 09-30-2018, 02:13 PM.

Comment

I agree with user nomis and find it disturbing that John has chosen to launch such a tirade of vitriol upon someone who can not reply.

Sadly even the inclusion of the Wikipedia article, who actually uses such websites for primary research?? Does little to add any credence to his argument.

One might disagree with Mark Yergers view, but on this thread is not the place to air it.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X