Out of print memoirs by German vets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Out of print memoirs by German vets

Hi I am interested in trying to locate out of print memoirs written, by German vets, that have been translated into English. I heard through a member that there are long out of print Fallschirmjager memoirs that have been trasnlated into English. Does anyone have the title of these and of other WaffenSS, Heeer, Uboot memoirs? I want to try to find them.
    Thanks
    TW

Hi, not sure if this is out of print or not but 'Twilight of the Gods' the memoirs of a swedish volunteer in the SS Nordland Division is very good. I certainly haven't seen it around for a bit.

Graeme

Comment

Hey Graeme, thanks for your suggenstion. I have that book at home and it is a good memoir. Any other suggestion guys?

Comment

Hello TW

What about Heaven & hell:The war diary of a german paratrooper
        by Martin Poppel ?
        Regards
        Darren C.R

Comment

Hi TWP,

Take a look here.......

http://www.landmarkmilitarybooks.com...26+Biographies

I can recomend this company, friendly service and fast delivery.....

I have just finished 'Adventures in my Youth' which is very good.
          Published by Hellion ISBN 1-874622-01-X

Steve.
          Attached Files

Comment

Hey guys thanks for the information on Heaven and Hell as well as Adventures in my youth. I have read both though. They sure were good books.
            I am looking for any others or out of print books. The reason why I ask specifically for out of print books, is because I have read most in print books I have been able to locate.
            Thanks again.
            TW

Comment

Hello again TWP,

Have you read 'Grenadiers' by Kurt Meyer.
              Very good, high quality book.
              I thought it was out of print, but Amazon have some copies......

Steve.
              http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...73712?v=glance

Comment

Hi TW.

Since you've read most material, perhaps you can help me with a title. A couple of years ago the Military Press in UK advertised a book about 8 different combat soldiers and their experiences (I believe it was 2 W-SS, 1 LW-FJ and 5 Army). I can't find out anything about the book and I would kill to get it .

KR
                Peter

Comment

Hi Peter,

This book sounds like Infantry Aces? Each chapter profiles a different soldier.
                  I don't know the author off hand - I loaned my copy out.

- James

Comment

Is this the one...........?

Great book, rubbish cover...........
                    Steve.
                    Attached Files

Comment

YES, that's the one! Thanks guys, now I have both title and author

KR
                      Peter

Comment

Yeah that is it. Infanterie Aces. I prefer individual memoirs though as this book really isnt a memoir, but sort of a 3 party description of the vets' combat experiences.

Steve, Darren and Graeme, thanks for getting back to me with those titles. Sorry I didnt reply eralier but I have just been busy this weekend
                        I have read all those books too. I have started reading U boat memoirs now due to the lack of WSS/falls memoirs. I am glad that I made the move. There are some good ones like,
                        Iron boats, steel hearts by Hans Goebeler and the UBoat 977 Heinz Schaefer.

Comment

Hi TWP,

I would like to heartely recommend 'Dance of Death' by Erich Kern, published in English by Collins in 1951. Don't think its been in print since but there are a couple available on amazon.

Kern was a junior SS officer who had some friends in high places (one a Gauleiter). Its a fantastic book which was ahead of its time. he writes about combat on the Eastern front as well as his time in captivity. His description of the casualties suffered at Stalingrad is correct long before any historical work was done on this subject. The last para in the book reads....

'Germany did not die on the 8th May 1945. But from the fact of its survival, we, who today are lifes outsiders, derive a duty and a right. For we are not gangsters and murderers but soldiers and fighters, such as exist the world over, wherever flags fly. Let us bury this treacherous romanticism and the false arrogance and, with them, the fraudulent self accusations and spineless cowardice. Let us live the life of true reality.'

A great read, buy it

Comment

Hello Patrick,

I may be incorrect, but the Kern book sounds somewhat familiar with one which was originally entitled Tauroggen (spelling?). It too was about an SS officer. Towards the end of the war he is also at Budapest and then leaves before the encirclement. Is this the same book? If so, then I recall reading some time ago that the story was debunked as false. Another book along similiar lines...The Black March was debunked also. Cannot now remember the parituclar sources, or individuals from which the criticisims came, but they appeared knowledgeable and sound. In particular the Tauroggen book always struck me as questionable...sold my copy long ago.

Regards

Comment

Hello TWP,

How about the classic The Forgotten Soldier? It has become almost the holy grail of German WWII accounts for many. Although for others looking more closely at the work have uncovered serious questions as to it's historical veracity.

Regards

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X