Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New helmet book

Hi fellow collectors,

A few weeks ago I bought a new helmet book.The book is published in Austria by Weishaupt Verlag www.weishaupt.at and is titled "Enzyklopädie deutscher Helme" by Otto Peter Lang.It is the first book of a three volume series , dealing with all sorts of german headgear.
    The book has 400 pages and around 750 most color pictures.It is the same size and format as the Radovan books dealing with the same subject.Text is in german and english.
    Price is 99 Euros , a little more than 100 Dollars I suppose.

The auther claims to have one of the biggest collections in the country and he also claims to be involved into some museum work too.

The book starts with what we all have already read in Mr.Baer`s book (Development of the Stahlhelm , Designs and so on...)

Then there is a large amount of period pictures (very good ,never seen before helmet shots).

The major drawback however is that I think that most of the helmets pictured in the book are FAKE !
    The helmets look as they were made by the same faker.(I have a guess)

As I do not know the author`personally I cannot say if he knew how bad his helmets are.

One thing I can say for sure is Dont buy this book !

For the uninformed newby collectors this book will be really dangerous if it is their first or only book on the subject.
    The book will also help the fakers to sell their cr*p over eBay and Militaria Web.

Some highlights are : 2 Danzig Helmets , 16(!) Sanitäter Helmets (Jan stay cool , they are all bad anyway),2 Crotian Wh Lids , and so on.

Adrian has promised to post some pictures that i have sent him.

All the Best

Bernhard
    Last edited by Bernhard; 02-10-2005, 06:44 AM.

Comment

thaaat baaad????

Comment

Helm

Hi Bernhard, are there any sources anywhere of detailed photos for the M44? (BII).

Comment

Well that image Ade posted is quite shocking.....

Are the helmets all of this "standard"?

I'd be interested to know if he claims onership of all the helmets pictured, or if he has contributors.

An example of attempting to validate authenticity via publishing....

Post more if you have them.

Patrick.

Comment

There are actually helmets in the book that look even more fake than this one.

The author did not credit anybody for their contribution of helmets.
            In the table of contents, however , he says that in volume three there would be "tips on how to spot fakes for the novice and advanced collectors"

Adrian suggested that we should not post more pictures as not to violate their copyright. But if you are interrested in some more pics you can PM me , and will send some more.

Cheers
            Bernhard

Comment

Wow

I am a fairly new collector and this is just plain scary. I have read, seen and touched enough to know how bad that helmet is but the fact that a book by a so-called expert is on the market with fakes that are that bad is just amazing. My wife is austrian so I will yell at her about her countrymen when I get home! (and will have a black eye shortly there after).

Comment

Update.

Hi all,

having just reviewed some further samples from this...."publication", incredible as it may seem, there indeed more jaw droppingly bad examples than the one posted.

It makes the Brana volumes seem the zenith of collecting..it's that bad.

Scandalous.

Patrick.

Comment

Hi Patrick, I like the "subdued" Heer eagle best

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Originally posted by gebirgs1938
                    ...but the fact that a book by a so-called expert is on the market with fakes that are that bad is just amazing...
                    I agree!

Whose in line for better fakes (just joking Eric)

Seriously, if all the fakes were that easy to spot...

Cheers

Jan
                    'Arzt und Soldat'

Comment

Are there any Pickelhauibes? Thanks.

Comment

Hi Joe

He only has Helmets and Pith Helmets in the book.
                        No Pickelhauben.

Cheers

Bernhard

Comment

Where could i find detailed photos of the BII
                          (M44)?

Comment

Dave , the only pics of the B II helmet that I know of are in the Baer book.In the book discussed here the author has a M 42 with fake paint , fake decal and a fake Innenaustattung 44.

All the best

Bernhard

Comment

Originally posted by Adrian Stevenson
                              Hi Patrick, I like the "subdued" Heer eagle best

Cheers, Ade.

I wondered how long it would take for one to show up

One thing that is often unforeseen by a new collector(and some longterm) is authorship of a book and expert knowledge is often times not one in the same.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X