To Destroy a City, By Herman Knell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To Destroy a City, By Herman Knell

This book is focused (but not solely devoted to) the bombing of Wurtzburg. It was similar to the Bombing of Dresden in that it was bombed around the same time, actually bombed after Dresden, largely undefended, limited strategic military value and second (I believe) ONLY to Dresden in the over-all amount of destruction.

This is a fantastic book, it states the facts, gives as little "opinion" as one can find in any history book, which is very refreshing. The book stays on topic, there is no "revisionist rhetoric", nor is there any Stephen Amrose-type "Allies right or wrong" crap, this book seems to tell it like it is...regardless of which side the dirt seems to stick to.

Written by someone that lived through the bombing (19 years old at the time), well researched, plenty of foot notes, overall excellent.

If you are "into" the airwar in Europe, this is for you!
    Attached Files

I think I'll abide by your advice and purchase this, you have a very level headed and thoughtful..conversed approach as in the Dresden thread. I really enjoyed that thread (and to think I didn't think we needed a book forum .I think it's great !)

I look forward to reading this as soon as I can get my hands on it, and giving you my opinion on it too

Kind regards & thank you

Marcus

Comment

Thanks for your kind words Marcus, I believe this will be a great addition to your library.

The books I truly like to read are ones such as this where there is at least an illusion of impartiality, the illusion of covering the facts, not regurgitating decades old rhetoric.

Has anyone else read this?

As you can see, I love my books (this is most of them).
      Attached Files

Comment

It's rather dark here now and our house is lit by dim bulbs, the wifes idea

But I like to sit back and look at my books as much as I do my militaria.

But, I assure you we are on the same wave length (alas, I think my grey matter isn't as educated as yours though ), I love my books and I like the hard back versions when I can afford them at this moment in time. It's normally Birthdays and Christmas presents..bought through the year.

Nice selection of head gear too !!!!

Kind regards,

Marcus

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X