X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mine just arrived. Very nice

Comment

Input from a satisfied reader in the UK

Received the msg reproduced below via email and off-forum.
      I will not include the writer's name, so as to spare him from
      potential criticism by those who do not share his views:

Mark,

Since I initially wrote to you I have now read the book and to be candid, I think that this is one of the best books that I have read on the subject. It has for me a “wow” factor and that is the opportunity to examine the detail of items on the page that has never been available before.

As a UK collector (where there is a dearth of original items in the first place) I can totally understand why you have chosen to confirm the originality of these items by the juxtaposition of original SS insignia with the actual captors of said items, in order to validate their originality.
      I also applaud the fact that your work is also historically neutral, insofar as that it allows an element of “combat rage” from both sides to be exhibited which is regrettable but not unavoidable
      in the circumstances.
      Please note also that as far as I am aware such a work could not have been undertaken by anyone from the UK on the basis that the collection of items from the enemy was discouraged in the UK to the extent that those troops who were returning home by ship were informed that if they were found to be in possession of “contraband” such as Nazi or Axis insignia, helmets, uniforms or weapons would be fined against their existing back pay and also subject to incarceration, if appropriate, so most of their stuff ended up in the Atlantic.

Comment

Bravo!

Nicely Said!
        In agreement 100%

Comment

Originally posted by M Bando View Post
          There is another thread running on this forum about the Brosow grouping, (page 302 of the book), a photo of which was sent to me by Kelly Hicks not long before the book was completed. I was not aware that the grouping was being publicly qustioned on the WAF forum, until the book was in-print. However, even if all the elements of the grouping were not originally together, the award documents are certainly those of Siegried Brosow. Also, it has not been categorically proven if the tunic and other elements actually belonged to Brosow or not. Bob Hritz and I discussed this at the MAX and he is not convinced that the other elements of this grouping have been discredited. Mr Hicks purchased the grouping from individuals in Germany in the spring of 2012 and those individuals represented themselves as relatives of Herr Brosow. Mr Hicks sent me a photo of the grouping in the good faith belief that what he had purchased was a "virgin, out of the woodwork, family acquisition".
          If it proves to be less than that, my apologies. It is a reminder to approach all purchases with caution-even those made directly from alleged families of veterans.
          Could someone post a link to the Brosow thread? I can't seem to find it. Thanks

Comment

re: controversy over Brosow Grouping

The discussion came up under the heading of different topics:
            Click here and scroll down-continuing comments might be found on subsequent pages-
            http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...Brosow&page=17
            I have some clarifications from Kelly Hicks, which I can post
            after anyone who is interested has read the postings linked-to.
            This discussion transpired around July, of 2012.

Comment

I just received the french version of it. Really nice book !

Comment

Just received my copy and i am really impressed so far

Thanks for a speedy delivery !

Nick

Comment

how Mr Hicks obtained the Brosow grouping

Thre are 2 sides to every story and the following is paraphrased from an email Kelly Hicks sent me, explaining how the Brosow grouping came into his possesion:

1) He purchased it from a picker, who was a document collector, who was also a personal friend of Brosow since the late 1990s. Brosow promised him all of his documents and stuff when he passed away.

2) When he died in 2008, Brosow's grandson put the documents up on an auction at some point later. The picker saw this and explained to the grandson what was going on and that he wanted the documents. They could not close the auction early, so the picker had to buy them.

3) But the grandson gave him everything else they had in the house (some of which is depicted in the photo on page 302 in the book).

4) He promised that in June of 2012 when they cleaned out the house to sell it, he would get the last items.

5) additional items included a beautiful silver tray engraved to Brosow on his RK awarding, a cufftitle, collar tabs, a uniform-removed cloth DK, an officer's belt box, an overseas cap, a 1938 dagger hanger, and some little SS songs and prayers that Brosow had carried in his pocket.

Some collector must have seen the documents during the time they were on auction, which led to questions about the rest of the grouping. Someone else thought the tunic was one of three that sold together some years ago, but it has since been established that the Junkerschule Braunschweig tunic pictured in this grouping is not one of the 3 in-question.

from Bando: I have more-recently seen a photo depicting the tray, overseas cap, and the other items from the family, which were not shown on page 302 of the book...for what it's worth, M. Bando

Comment

Stupid SS book got me all hooked on SS cloth spending money I don't have. I blame you Bando!

Comment

more re: Brosow grouping

Here's a link to a public blog Kelly Hicks posted, telling of his
                      acquisition of the grouping, while visiting Germany earlier this year:

http://www.militaryheadgear.com/arti...nd-Kelly-Hicks

Comment

I just received Mark Bando's book and it is terrific! I highly recommend it. It is a great addition to my library.

By the way, it was a very pleasant surprise to find a lot of cut-offs which I currently have in my collection are in the book since they were originally from Mike Davis' collection! The only problem with the book is that it makes me want to have more SS cut-offs and authentic ones are so difficult to find

Thanks for your hard work, Mark!
                        When you go home
                        Tell them for us and say
                        For your tomorrow
                        We gave our today

--Inscription in the 5th Marine Division cemetery,
                        Iwo Jima 1945

Comment

re: cut offs in the book, et al

Walter- I'm not sure exactly which-all insignia in the book are from your collection, but thank you for finding this discussion on page two and bringing it back into play. I've been thinking about the subject of SS cap and uniform cutoffs and I don't know of another book that shows ANY. This book has plenty of real nice examples, from the collections of at least half a dozen different collectors, some of whom specialize in cutoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by WalterB View Post
                            I just received Mark Bando's book and it is terrific! I highly recommend it. It is a great addition to my library.

By the way, it was a very pleasant surprise to find a lot of cut-offs which I currently have in my collection are in the book since they were originally from Mike Davis' collection! The only problem with the book is that it makes me want to have more SS cut-offs and authentic ones are so difficult to find

Thanks for your hard work, Mark!

I am glad that those pieces have found a worthy home and that many made it into the book

It was a pleasure owning them, I only wish I had been able to provide Mike with better photos but, unfortunately, what I sent him at the time were just 35mm prints. It was the pre-digital era.

Comment

In this day and age when every imaginable organization and individual is scrambling to record Veteran narratives, individual accounts and “collect things”, Mark Bando has been diligently doing this for the past 40+ years. His latest product of this passion is nothing short of shear brilliance and is a historical treasure in its own right. I have been “around this stuff” 35 years and it has always amazed me that collectors of this venue have never cared for “provenance” but just the items in their collection. The details and accounts of these Great Warriors (on both sides) could only be shared by someone who has dedicated the past 4 decades researching the men directly, cross checking facts & accounts and most importantly, preserving their memories for future generations. Through his tireless efforts and continual archiving of accurate recollections, Mr. Beaver & Mr. Bando have produced the premier book of first person accounts and have earned thier place at the table with some of America's better known & mainstream story tellers. Moreover, Bando has been trusted with the stories that these Great Warriors seldom share outside of their own circles and certainly only with someone that they completely trust. This includes both sides of the fight. Don’t judge the book until you see it, read it or examine it personally. And then, if you don’t like it, you can always build off the back of GIANTS in the field who have dedicated their lives to the subject matter. Well done all parties involved! Well Done.

Comment

Have a copy in English but will the French version be available here in the USA? Would be interesting to see any layout changes.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 7 users online. 0 members and 7 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                                X