Saving Private Ryan quote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saving Private Ryan quote

In the movie Saving Private Ryan there is the scene were the German soldier and the American are in a fight in the upstairs in a fight. The German soldier turns a knife on the American and slowly forces it into him. The German says something to the American, does anyone know what he said? Funny how a little thing like that can drive you nuts.
    Andrew

Damn,,I forgot that drove me nuts,,I HAVE NO IDEA what he said
    Iam Uncle Sam
    That’s who Iam
    Been hiding out
    In a rock and roll band

Comment

I think the literal translation is "be quiet, go to sleep" but then again I am relying on my High School German Class that I took 22 yrs ago.

John

Comment

Originally posted by Market Garden
        It think it was "be quiet, go to sleep" but then again I am relying on my High School German Class that I took 22 yr ago.

John
        Man, that's cold!

Comment

What bugs me is that EVERYONE believes that that German is in fact the same that Oppum befriends and lets live...it is not. The German upstairs is SS, while I believe the MG Gunner from the radar station was Heer or FJ (not sure). In fact, he arrives at the battle towards the end, just in time to shoot Captain Miller...and in turn Oppum gives him a 30.06 slug in the stomach (rightfully so).

Had they made it that the German upstairs was the radar station gunner, I feel it would have been more powerful that in fact, he did repay Oppum for befriending him...but I think it was just an SS soldier letting Oppum go. Besides, he had darker hair.

Going from my highschool German as well, I would say that it was something to the effect of "Be quiet, go to sleep"...I'll have to check out the subtitles and translate them.

ZaCK

Comment

Q: What does the German say to Mellish as he stabs him?

A: Either "the war is over for you. Shhh. Rest now." Or "Soon I will be joining you. Shshh. Be Quiet." Not speaking German, I haven't been able to definitively confirm this.

Mark

Comment

<CENTER>http://www.un-official.com/SPR/SPRAbout.html#faq</CENTER><CENTER> </CENTER><CENTER>Mellish being knifed to death: This scene is even worse when you know German, for the German soldier says: "Don't fight it. Shh... You'll see it's better this way."</CENTER>

Comment

I very much enjoyed the movie..

Perfect details..., the cooling down MG part..fabulous..tink,tink...tink..shrinking metal..,smoking barrel..

They gave the "bastard" a second chance...,cool ...., but lethal...

It's just a film ,but you could feel the horror..

Also ,Germans speaking German makes it a better movie IMO.

Quite realistic in many aspects .

One of the best movies !

Jos.

Comment

I find the fact that that german they had let live reappeared at the end of the movie and killed the hero, was a typical hollywood style twist of the scenario. I think they could have pictured the horrors of war perfectly without adding on pathetic soap opera scenario details like this. But that is just my opinion.
                  JL

Comment

the German says...relax dude.. in 60 years or so this knife will be worth something on Ebay....

Comment

"the German says...relax dude.. in 60 years or so this knife will be worth something on Ebay"
                      "OUCH"!!!!!!! but ssssooo true!!!
                      i didnt like that bit where the german who was freed came back to kill the hero typical hollywood cr#p!! but the opening beach landings!!! damn cool and about as close as you can get to being there without well actuly being there!!!

Comment

i found this on website, maybe it will help

As the German soldier stabs a US soldier to death, he says: "Gib' auf, du hast keine Chance! Lass' uns ein Ende machen es ist so viel leichter für dich!" This translates: "Give up, you don't stand a chance! Let's end this here, it will be easier for you like this!" The words are spoken in Austrian-accented German.

Comment

Originally posted by panzerzacker
                          What bugs me is that EVERYONE believes that that German is in fact the same that Oppum befriends and lets live...it is not. The German upstairs is SS, while I believe the MG Gunner from the radar station was Heer or FJ (not sure). In fact, he arrives at the battle towards the end, just in time to shoot Captain Miller...and in turn Oppum gives him a 30.06 slug in the stomach (rightfully so).

Had they made it that the German upstairs was the radar station gunner, I feel it would have been more powerful that in fact, he did repay Oppum for befriending him...but I think it was just an SS soldier letting Oppum go. Besides, he had darker hair.

Going from my highschool German as well, I would say that it was something to the effect of "Be quiet, go to sleep"...I'll have to check out the subtitles and translate them.

ZaCK
                          IT IS THE SAME GUY. He was picked up by a SS unit and given a different uniform. I have seen the movie dozens of times. IT IS THE SAME GUY.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean-Loup
                            I find the fact that that german they had let live reappeared at the end of the movie and killed the hero, was a typical hollywood style twist of the scenario. I think they could have pictured the horrors of war perfectly without adding on pathetic soap opera scenario details like this. But that is just my opinion.
                            JL
                            I absolutely agree !

In my opinion, the invasion sequence was extraordinary, but the remainder of the film was typical Hollywod cliches.

Here is something that I found interesting. Have you ever seen the film "The Big Red One" ? The D-Day invasion occurs in the film, but you don't see it take place. What you see is the hand of a dead American soldier on the beach, with the surf swirling around. You can see his wristwatch. Time passes on his watch, and as the hours go on, the seawater around his hand becomes pink and then blood red.

The writer and director of the film was Samuel Fuller. He was on Omaha beach with the First Infantry Division on D-Day. He did not try to re-create the invasion for his film.

He was there, and he said that it was so horrible that no attempt to re=create it in a movie would ever come close to what it was actually like.

Comment

Originally posted by tom hansen
                              IT IS THE SAME GUY. He was picked up by a SS unit and given a different uniform. I have seen the movie dozens of times. IT IS THE SAME GUY.
                              In apocalypse now one of Robert Duvalls guys is later up at the bridge... just means the same actor.

maybe Spielberg was on a tight budget?

Maybe he just used the same actor just to get discussions going?

The German Kampfgruppe system did not require guys to change uniforms when fighting with another unit, anyway, them Germans all look alike.....

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X