aka "Patton: Lust for Glory" - UK

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066206/

The acting of George C Scott is superbe and the music is just

Comment

...The Bridge at Remagen...
      ...When Trumpets fade...
      ...First part of Stalingrad, on the boats coming in, love interest
      ...The Longest day = Classic

On a side note: Gettysburg was 100 times better then, Of Gods and Generals, so was Andersonville.

Comment

der untergang
        enemy at the gates
        the grey zone
        saving private ryan
        best regards michael

Comment

Hi,
          der untergang
          Stalingrad

Comment

"Winter War" and "Stalingrad"

"The Winter War" is gripping - so is the German version of "Stalingrad." Make you wonder and realize why it was truly a world war....

Comment

Das Boot...anytime...Cheers, Torsten.

Comment

warmovies

Stalingrad, the german movie
                and the band of brother series, although not a movie as such

Paul

Comment

I'd have to say Das Boot. It didn't feature much of today's 'political' fluff and that's why I enjoyed watching it. I am just wishing they do a remake or something with it set early in the war...yeah I know just dreaming

Comment

Favorite

There are so many....GUNS AT BATASI and THE LOST COMMAND are two of my favorite...BILL

Comment

Thats impossible to choose, but FMJ makes me laugh

Comment

One of my favourites is The Train directed by John frankenheimer and starring Burt lancaster. A really great movie shot in Black and White.

Comment

What about a movie called 'The Beast'. Starred Jason Patric and George Dzundza and one of the omnipresent Baldwin brothers. Takes place in Afghanistan during Sov - Afgahn war. A T55 crew and their madman commander run from a group of relentless mujahedin. A great story. The opening quote from Kipling sets the tone

'when you wounded and lying on Afghanistan's plains
                          and the women come out to cut up your remains
                          roll to your rifle and blow out your brains
                          and go to God like a soldier"

Comment

The BEST

I am a WWII US Collector and historian, so my movie favorites are of that genre. I am also a former Army officer and have the priviledge of teaching a block of instruction on military leadership at the local college's ROTC program. I use movies in the classes to drive home my points regarding leadership.
                            Here are a list of the best movies by my standards-

"We Were Soldiers" If you ever want to teach a ROTC cadet how to be an officer, you have to show him how Hal Moore did it. Hal is the embodiment of the "Be, Know, Do" type of leader. If we had more Hal Moores in Vietnam, the outcome would have been very different. Also, "Too Tall" was a Medal of Honor recipient in the battle, though they don't mention it in the movie. The deleted scene of the Sunday religious service is some of the most moving cinamatography I have ever witnessed.

"Blackhawk Down." Is get chills every time I see this movie. Again, it is an excellent example of what to do and what not to do in combat situations- plus you get to see the actions of two Medal of Honor recipients, Shugart and Gordon, who knew they were volunteering to die to protect a downed pilot.

"Gettysburg" Joshua L. Chamberlain and the 20th Maine's classic defense of Little Round Top and Pickett's charge. Chamberlain is a great example of what you want a combat leader to be.

I use the first 20 minutes of "Saving Private Ryan" to show the brutality of war, but as far as I am concerned, much of the remainder of the movie is too hokey to be of much use.

Finally, the HBO miniseries "Band of Brothers" would be number one on my list if it were a movie. As it stands, it is the greatest military depiction that I have ever seen. "Blackhawk Down" is a close second.

Allan

Comment

Originally posted by Blitzvogel
                              What about a movie called 'The Beast'. Starred Jason Patric and George Dzundza and one of the omnipresent Baldwin brothers. Takes place in Afghanistan during Sov - Afgahn war. A T55 crew and their madman commander run from a group of relentless mujahedin. A great story. The opening quote from Kipling sets the tone

'when you wounded and lying on Afghanistan's plains
                              and the women come out to cut up your remains
                              roll to your rifle and blow out your brains
                              and go to God like a soldier"
                              Oh I remember that movie. "Little Tank Boy!" Man that guy was crazy.

What was the quote about tanks? "If your tank is immoblilized, it becomes a bunker. If your tank is on fire........."

Can't remember the quote
                              Last edited by 50_CAL; 07-08-2005, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CrankyFrank
                                I'd have to say Das Boot. It didn't feature much of today's 'political' fluff and that's why I enjoyed watching it. I am just wishing they do a remake or something with it set early in the war...yeah I know just dreaming
                                I'll keep dreaming with you, it would be nice to see a movie based on the early war Uboot operations.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X