ww2 diary of a german soldier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ww2 diary of a german soldier

werner herzog was a 37 year old teacher who was called up to the luftwaffe in 39 as rear echelon soldier , these are his diaries , unquestionably a good family man , about half of his entries are about his family ,which i found tedious ,this bloke seemed to have cornered the market in home leave as he served as a "teacher" for the luftwaffe in Germany and occupied France , though towards the end he was strafed by aircraft i don t think he fired a shot in anger , but and its a big but , this guy moans and moans right through the book , why no promotion, homesick, all officers are "punks", how bad things are for him ,on and on , he seemed to have a cushy war in comparison to many ! i didn t enjoy this book , as a family document yes , but i m not his family and i didn t think it worthy of publication !,never mind purchase

Originally posted by Terry OToole View Post
    werner herzog was a 37 year old teacher who was called up to the luftwaffe in 39 as rear echelon soldier , these are his diaries , unquestionably a good family man , about half of his entries are about his family ,which i found tedious ,this bloke seemed to have cornered the market in home leave as he served as a "teacher" for the luftwaffe in Germany and occupied France , though towards the end he was strafed by aircraft i don t think he fired a shot in anger , but and its a big but , this guy moans and moans right through the book , why no promotion, homesick, all officers are "punks", how bad things are for him ,on and on , he seemed to have a cushy war in comparison to many ! i didn t enjoy this book , as a family document yes , but i m not his family and i didn t think it worthy of publication !,never mind purchase
    Thanks for the heads up. I just read Gerhard Hennes' "Under the crooked cross." Altho it gives a good account of a middle class families life before and during the war, there's not much about the war experience.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
    X