CEJ Books

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The BBC World War Two Collection (12 Disc Box Set)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The BBC World War Two Collection (12 Disc Box Set)

Does anyone own this set? I have the World at War series and yes its the benchmark but how does this series compare?

I want to know if its worth buying.

Thanks
    Attached Files

Each topic in the box set is a series in its own right, or a docu-drama where the story is told through actors interspersed with a narrative & film footage, rather than a World At War style documentary. The Nazi's: A Warning From History is a 4 part documentary for example, as is War Of The Century & Auschwitz: The Nazis & The Final Solution. I don't have Horror In The East or Battlefields (nor have I seen them) but I have the others as individual dvds and they are all well made and worth watching.

Comment

one of my favorites.Keep in mind though there are a few docu-dramas in there BBC reenactments of behind the scenes meetings with generals ect and some reenactments of batttles.i didnt care for those much but the Nazis awarnig from history and When Hitler fought Stalin are outstanding as well as the Battlefield discs.

Comment

The Nazi's: A Warning From History is a great documenary, one of the best if you ask me. It is 6 episodes covering the third reich from the 20´s to 45

Comment

That is a great dvd package .
          Beeb did some very good documentaries back in the early 1970's. which I wish they would put on on dvd.

Comment

yes i have it, very good!

Comment

IMO this set is very underated indeed.

With typical BBC documentary style and meticulous content, all of these individual documentaries are well worth seeing.

It has been pointed out that some re-enactor scenes have been included however, it should also be stated that there is a wealth of first-hand accounts from participants of all sides in all of the battles and events.

Very well produced and presented, a must for all with an interest in WWII from where I am sitting.

Regards Richard.
              Always looking for Luftwaffe Kampfflieger related document groups. In particular anything to Kampfgeschwader 2.

Comment

The Beeb's commitment to making good history is one which has been long standing.
                As I mentioned earlier going back to the 1970's they produced some excellent and now ( unfortunatly) not shown histories on Bismarck , Tirpitz, Scharnhorst , the Battle of The Atlantic , "The Greatest raid of All" - quite excellent with a wealth of interviews and accounts from men who sadly are no longer with us.

The more recent documentaries as contained in this excellent dvd package are equally good , better film and production standards in terms of graphics and clarity ( as one would expect) but the solid bedrock of the content is second to none.
                £ for £ this package presents excellent value for money.

Besides the dvd range on offer the monthly BBc History magazine is a must buy every month.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X