Cholm books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cholm books

Are there any good books on Cholm apart from the Circle of Fire book? I would love a copy of this aswell but its a bit out of my price range for books at the minute.

Fortress Cholm, by Latvian veteran Oskars Perro, is a personal account of how he and a few countrymen found themselves part of the German forces there. Perro actually wrote four or five volumes of memoirs, while living in Canada after the war, but this is the only one translated into English, as far as I know.

Comment

Thanks, that book is even more expensive than the Circle of Fire book so its out of my range too but when I looked it up on Amazon I came across this book: Siege: A Novel of the Eastern Front, 1942 which is also about Cholm and it only cost me £0.01 so I am happy with that.
      In my haste to buy it I did not realise it was actually a novel (I know it says it in the title). Ah well, there is a penny wasted.

Comment

[quote=JagerLeaves;4465661]Thanks, that book is even more expensive than the Circle of Fire book so its out of my range too but when I looked it up on Amazon I came across this book: Siege: A Novel of the Eastern Front, 1942 which is also about Cholm and it only cost me £0.01 so I am happy with that.
        In my haste to buy it I did not realise it was actually a novel (I know it says it in the title). Ah well, there is a penny wasted.[/quote

I read Siege several years ago and thought it was excellent, it really gave me a sense of what it must have been like to live through that period. He also wrote several other books before dying at a young age; "Madness without end" "Demyansk; More tales from the Russian wilderness 1941-45" Both very hard to find.
        Enjoy your read.
        I also have an author signed copy of "Fortress Cholm" but have not read it yet.

Comment

I looked on Abebooks, and there's a copy of Fortress Cholm (Perro's book) for $22, plus shipping. It's in Canada, so shipping to the UK might be expensive, but the actual book isn't, and anyone else in the USA or Canada interested in the book will have cheaper shipping.

Comment

Oh, I almost forgot, about Circle of Fire, Tom at the Aberdeen Bookstore, sometimes has used copies available. Anyone interested should send him an email to see about price and availability. It should be a cheaper option than Amazon and Abebooks (Aberdeen is in the USA, fwiw).

Comment

I searched hard to find an affordable copy of Circle of Fire but was unsuccessful. I did find this for €22 on ebay.de though: Kampfgruppe Scherer: 105 Tage im Kessel von Cholm.
              It is a copy of the original book of the same title released in 1943/44 in Germany as a bit of a moral booster(I think) and as far as I can see Circle of Fire is the english version of this book. This book is in German which is a bit of a drawback for me as I dont speak much German but it is mainly the pictures I wanted to see anyway so not a bad compromise. It will give me the reason to start listening to my German cd in the car again.
              http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/3887...ef=oss_product

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X