The war against war.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The war against war.

I happened to find out about this book while randomly googling. It seems like a typical post WW1 era anti war book, with series of images of killed or maimed soldiers, mass graves, proximity with death, etc. Online versions in several langages can be seen here: http://www.greatwardifferent.com/Gre.../Kriege_00.htm

JL
    Attached Files

Yes, quite an eye opener, with some startling, graphic images.
    I have at least one of the volumes by Ernst Friedrich.

I read some time back that this guys anti war stance did not, of course, sit very well with the Nazis, so he moved to France.
    Not sure what his fate was once France was invaded, I imagine not too good.

edit: It has this in the forward section of the book:

"Born 1894, Ernst Friedrich was a vehement pacifist and anti authoritarian, he established the International Anti War Museum in Berlin in 1924, the same year he published War Against War!.
    Vigorously prosecuted by the Weimar government for his anarchist and pacifist agitation, he spent much time in prison.
    With the Nazi rise to power, his museum was closed and he fled to Belgium where he opened a second museum.
    The German invasion of Belgium in 1940 forced him to flee once again to France, where he spent the war connected with the resistance, though still struggling for the pacifist cause.
    Throughout his life, disrupted by 2 world wars, he remained passionately dedicated to calling all nations to peace."

So it appears that he survived the war.

Comment

What have happend in pic 2. Looks like horses?

Comment

The pics in these volumes are all captioned, but the author goes for sardonic irony rather than an accurate guide to what the picture depicts.
        There are 2 other dead horse pics in my volume, one in captioned "And so the horses also fight to the last breath!" and "The horses are Heros too!".

From the looks of the pic, judging by how the skeletons are largely intact, I would guess that they were gathered in this field and butchered for food on the spot by desperate men.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesUS View Post

From the looks of the pic, judging by how the skeletons are largely intact, I would guess that they were gathered in this field and butchered for food on the spot by desperate men.
          Sounds logic

Comment

Who knows what happened to the horses, but it doesnt look like they have been butchered too me....

JL

Comment

Well, they didn't all just walk there and suddenly die a natural death.
              Doesn't appear to be fenced in.
              They were not blown up ,,, Men gathered them there and slaughtered them on the spot for a reason.

But you may be right, since the ribs appear largely intact. One would think starving men would not leave the prime cuts on the ground.
              Then again, I've never seen the remains of a butchered carcass.
              Perhaps they were diseased, or maybe they were simply slaughtered en masse to prevent them from falling into the hands of the enemy.
              Last edited by JamesUS; 08-10-2010, 11:59 AM.

Comment

There are many choices other then natural death or slaughter. It could be a gas attack, a flood, freezing cold weather, machine gunning....
                Here are some more photos of the horses. It is quite clear that they were not slaughtered at several of them are intact. It says it is near the Berezina.
                Attached Files

Comment

Natural death is not a possibility, gas sure is.
                  Since they don't appear to be fenced in, its logical to conclude that they were herded there to be killed.
                  We'll never know the exact nature of death which befell these unfortunate beasts, just another ugly side of the war which this author campaigned against.

Comment

i have that book "convent with death" printed in the 20s!its a really really disturbing book!at the end theres a whole section that has a little sticker that you have to break to view!just shows what war and its aftermath is really like!

Comment

"covenant with death" ,,, Written by who ?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X