Movie: North Face (2009)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Movie: North Face (2009)

This is an excellent German-made movie that takes place in 1936. It is based on a true story. Toni Kurz and Andi Hinteroisser are 2 young Gebirgsjaeger expert rock climbers from Berchtesgaden who, with some prompting from the Berlin press corps, decide to attempt to become the first to climb the North Face of the Eiger (Nordwand). There are some excellent special effects, and the movie is reviewed as being accurate as far as climbing is concerned.

The Nazi-thing looms in the background, as the press are looking for Germans to be the first to conquer the Eiger (other teams are the French, Italians, and Austrians--pre Anschluss). There is also a lite love-story element, so the Mrs would enjoy this one, too.

I recommend it highly--but keep in mind that this movie is not about the 1938 joint German-Austrian expedition, it is 2 years earlier.
    Attached Files
    NEC SOLI CEDIT

The movie is called Nordwand in Germany:
    Attached Files
    NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

The movie is just as intense, if not more so, than "As Far as My Feet Will Carry Me." The cinematography is phenomenal:
      Attached Files
      NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Looks like a "must see" film!

Thanks for the info

Nick

Comment

This film has been reviewed in the climbing forums for some time and has received great reviews. Climbing/mountaineering is my other passion and during the hieght of my climbing prowess in the late 80's managed the 1938 route on the Nordwand a superb route. Cant wait t6o see the film

Comment

Originally posted by robin morley View Post
            This film has been reviewed in the climbing forums for some time and has received great reviews. Climbing/mountaineering is my other passion and during the hieght of my climbing prowess in the late 80's managed the 1938 route on the Nordwand a superb route. Cant wait t6o see the film
            Robin, that is an impressive feat--after watching this movie, I have a whole lot more respect for mountain-climbing.

BTW, did you do the Hinteroisser traverse?!
            NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

that was a nice film indeed

Comment

Hi Stonemint,

Yes did the Hintertroisser traverse and spent the night at the death bivouac. Climbing gear has really progressed since the attempt documented by the film. The actual climbing is not (relatively speaking) all that hard the main problems are what are called objective dangers, eg- rock fall, avalanches, bad weather iced rocks etc. The weather can change really quick it can be a blizzard on the Eiger whilst people are sunbathing in the Alpiglen.

Comment

Is this a limited realese to cinemas or/is available in DVD in the USA?

The stills posted here look fantastic as well as the story of the movie itself, would like to see this movie indeed!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Federico Perez View Post
                    Is this a limited realese to cinemas or/is available in DVD in the USA?

The stills posted here look fantastic as well as the story of the movie itself, would like to see this movie indeed!!!

I got it through Netflix, so it must be available for general release here in the US>
                    NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Originally posted by stonemint View Post
                      I got it through Netflix, so it must be available for general release here in the US>
                      Thanks, I will look for it at Netflix since my local "mega video" stores do not have it in inventory at the moment.....and don't plan to!!!

As the gentelman at the video store counter told me "is not a modern FX extravaganza action movie, so it have limited appeal and rental potential".....
                      Last edited by Federico Perez; 06-17-2010, 09:55 PM.

Comment

That's how most 3rd Reich movies are in my area "limited appeal".... I go to my video store and they have hardly any.

Comment

Yes indeed, an excellent film. It's available for instant viewing on Netflix. Even the wife was on the edge of her seat
                          http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/North...5?trkid=921403

Richard

Comment

I saw this a few nights ago and I was very impressed. A little bit of the acting was a bit too contrived, the newspaper publisher who visits the Matterhorn for example, but he was a secondary charachter and all of the primary actors did a great job.

If you have the chance, watch the film "extras" like how they shot the cinematography.

A very worthy movie!

Comment

The professional climbers say the movie, climbing-wise, was right as rain.

The ending was dead-on. Here is a sad and tragic pic of the tragic end of the real Toni Kurz--so close, yet literally so far:
                              Attached Files
                              NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X