The pianist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The pianist

I watched "The Pianist" last night (very good movie by the way) and noticed something that may have been mentioned before.

Anybody notice any helmet inconsistencies with the prop department??

There is a 1940 scene (the Jewish dancing scene) with a soldier wearing a M42.

Any others??

Originally posted by Joe Martin
    I watched "The Pianist" last night (very good movie by the way) and noticed something that may have been mentioned before.

Any others??
    I too watched it on HBO a few weeks ago (didn't want to give my money to the pedophile Roman Polanski). I thought the uniforms and such looked good, but I didn't catch the helmet desrepancy.

Comment

Well I made up for you Jamie! I had to buy it twice on DVD because my father-in-law had borrowed it for so long and I wanted to see it again. Probably is one of my top five favorite WWII movies.

I tend to overlook issues with the helmets and honestly I didn't notice so I don't think it detracted from the film at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter_Suciu
        I tend to overlook issues with the helmets and honestly I didn't notice so I don't think it detracted from the film at all.
        I agree, no detraction at all. I just thought it was funny for the prop guys to make that mistake.

Comment

Hi,

Did anyone notice just how bad the decals were?

Regards Andy B.........

Comment

Originally posted by ANDY BUTKUS
            Did anyone notice just how bad the decals were?
            That's really an interesting point but I don't think this or the use of an M42 helmet is really the prop guys making a mistake. I've met Dale Dye a few times and I've chatted with him about what goes into consulting on a film and he said that the most important thing is that it looks fairly appropriate without being distracting to the average viewer.

And first the average viewer doesn't know and probably doesn't care about one helmet from another. To make a point there is a whole hobbist group that would say the way the Morse Code was sent in the film Titanic was all wrong. I read that the actor tapped his thumb wrong. Does it ruin the movie? (Well nothing could have saved it...god I hate that movie but anyway...)

So as far as the use of the helmets...they did get German helmets and didn't settle for Spanish or something else, which has happened. And I would like to point out that the decals are often larger or more colorful because they don't pick up that well on film. Having worked a bit on some indie films I can tell you that it is shocking what gets picked up wrong, what causes reflections and so on.

Comment

How about M43 cap in 1942 in "Enemy At The Gate"

Comment

Hey Joe I noticed the M42 also .Other than that everything looked pretty good. Have you seen the movie Solder with Curt Russel. These guys were wearing fall Oak camo uniforms.Not a great movie ,but nice camo!!!!!

Comment

Johnny S observes: Have you seen the movie Solder with Curt Russel. These guys were wearing fall Oak camo uniforms.Not a great movie ,but nice camo!!!!!

I was wondering if I was the only one who noticed that. A local paint ball place rented out coveralls so people didn't get their street clothes dirty. They were made of spring Oak A.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Martin

Any others??
                    I just ran across a Sportman's Guide catalog where I believe they were selling prop uniform components from the movie, "The Pianist". For sale were tunics, pants and sidecaps. They were almost out of the uniforms, I believe. Still had the sidecaps fo sale.

Comment

Did anyone recognize the German Officer that helped the Pianist near the end of the film? What other great WWII movie did he star in? Should be easy for most of you.

Thanks,
                      Mike

Comment

"How about M43 cap in 1942 in "Enemy At The Gate""
                        As far as I am concerned, enemy at the gate was changed into a pathetic movie by a few obese soldiers, and other line up of tanks in front of the CP.
                        JL

Comment

I guess I will have to see the pianoist!

Comment

Originally posted by Jean-Loup
                            "How about M43 cap in 1942 in "Enemy At The Gate""
                            As far as I am concerned, enemy at the gate was changed into a pathetic movie by a few obese soldiers, and other line up of tanks in front of the CP.
                            JL
                            I don't get worked up about the wrong uniforms provided they are close...but I'm one that hates seeing lard-asses. Gettysburg is a classic example. The uniforms might be 100% perfect but the battle wasn't fought by overweight middle aged men! I'll take the wrong helmet or cap any day over re-enactors who look 40 and weigh 285 pounds!

And the German captain was in U-571.

Comment

Originally posted by mvm71
                              Did anyone recognize the German Officer that helped the Pianist near the end of the film? What other great WWII movie did he star in? Should be easy for most of you.

Thanks,
                              Mike
                              I believe he played the German lieutenant in the German production of "Stalingrad".

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X