Amen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amen

Has anyone seen this French film? This is about the SS officer Kurt Gerstein.

It's a great filmed named "Amen". It seemed a bit long, though it was only 2 hours 10 minutes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurt_Gerstein

It is a true story and has a quite sad ending. Overall a good movie, though.

Yes it's really a great movie! Especially for a movie that is not so well known. I would also recommend it!

Comment

Yes, I have seen "Amen." To be honest, before I had seen the film, I never had the idea that a man such as Gerstein could be imagined, let alone, be a reality. I was happily proven wrong upon researching the man a bit further after the film.

Unfortunately, as has been pointed out, the film is not widely known (at least in the U.S.). And it is likely destined for obscurity given the fact that it tells the tale of someone that we have come to believe should be the epitome of evil. That, of course, is the SS man. The one thing that gives me hope is that projects such as "Valkyrie" will create a more accepting environment for films that tell the stories of those in Germany - without regard to their place in Third Reich society - that managed to maintain the better aspects of their humanity despite the circumstances that existed during those harrowing years

Originally posted by K98_man View Post
      Has anyone seen this French film? This is about the SS officer Kurt Gerstein.

It's a great filmed named "Amen". It seemed a bit long, though it was only 2 hours 10 minutes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurt_Gerstein

It is a true story and has a quite sad ending. Overall a good movie, though.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Paul Giva; 08-21-2009, 03:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Giva View Post
        Yes, I have seen "Amen." To be honest, before I had seen the film, I never had the idea that a man such as Gerstein could be imagined, let alone, be a reality. I was happily proven wrong upon researching the man a bit further after the film.

Unfortunately, as has been pointed out, the film is not widely known (at least in the U.S.). And it is likely destined for obscurity given the fact that it tells the tale of someone that we have come to believe should be the epitome of evil. That, of course, is the SS man. The one thing that gives me hope is that projects such as "Valkyrie" will create a more accepting environment for films that tell the stories of those in Germany - without regard to their place in Third Reich society - that managed to maintain the better aspects of their humanity despite the circumstances that existed during those harrowing years
        Great point Paul. I wish we could bring it to a broader audience, but like you said - nobody likes to see evil doing good. It really is a shame and goes to show how closed minded people can become when the same black and white information is shoved down their throats.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X