New Schiffer Pickelhaube Book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello All,

I saw a copy of this book at the last SOS show in Louisville..... and it's another Coffee Table book..... Not to mention that I picked out some errors with the spikes myself (and I don't even have that many).....

Great full page color pics.... very little info.....

I know of two more Imperial books that are in the works.. another one on Spikes and one on Caps.....

Cheers
    Mark

Comment

Hi,

I think it is the best book on the market today. It is far from a coffee table book and can be had relatively cheaper than the publishers. Yes there are mistakes and holes in the photo lexicon but it is well done and in English. Reviews of this and other books are at www.coljs.com

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o>

I know of two other books brewing, but as of today and right now, you will be hard pressed to match this.

</o>VR/Joe

Comment

Militärische Kopfbedeckungen der Kaiserzeit

Laurie,

I have a copy of "Militärische Kopfbedeckungen der Kaiserzeit". It was not easy getting it either! Many thanks.

Regards
        Glenn

Comment

Geez... I have gotten more than a few emails about my comment. I stand by it. Stubbs is one heck of a book in my mind. Yes there are mistakes and holes in the photo lexicon and indeed the title is misleading but there is nothing better easily available. Reviews of this and other pickelhaube books are at www.coljs.com

Larcade is arguably better and shorter. However it is older, in French, more expensive, and not always easy to find. (I don't do French well at all)
          Kopfbedeckungen is not easy to find. Good book but not as detailed in some areas as Stubbs. In German.
          Stubbs is 540 Pages a zillion photos, text, not just captions, a massive book in English. Not at all like Saunders. (all of us could learn from Saunder's photo technique.)

Comparison to Laine is useful but suddenly small differences can emerge. I have learned much from Stubbs, don't know him, and learn more each time I look something up in this tome.

Stubbs is $64 US no shipping. B&N just had an additional 5% off that some folks took advantage of. (Not me I paid like $75 + shipping.)

Is there wasted space? --- yes.
          Could it have been made less pages? --- yes.
          Are all the pictures good? --- no --- not all.
          Is it a coffee table book? --- not in the realm of Saunders so I say definitely no.
          Does it stand alone? --- no. There are mistakes worth finding.
          Would I buy it again? --- yes, in a New York minute.

As a caution I am also the guy who bought Mystic Tanning for the girls pre-pageant. You know --- that spray stuff that makes you look like an Umpa Lumpa! As a result dry cleaning etc ......

VR/Joe www.coljs.com

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X