New Schiffer Pickelhaube Book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Schiffer Pickelhaube Book

Has anyone set eyes on the new book from Schiffer regarding Imperial Headdress: Imperial German Military Officers’ Helmets and Headdress 1871-1918 by Thomas N.G. Stubbs. I am wary of stumping up nearly sixty quid if it is just a coffee table book.

Regards
    Glenn

Originally posted by Glenn2438
    Has anyone set eyes on the new book from Schiffer regarding Imperial Headdress: Imperial German Military Officers’ Helmets and Headdress 1871-1918 by Thomas N.G. Stubbs. Regards
    Glenn
    Just officers? Groan.......... Count me out for that fact alone. So many people forget the ratio of men to officers. It was not just officers in the trenches.........

Comment

Officers

Afraid so Tony,

here is a link to Schiffer's site and the said tome:

http://www.schifferbooks.com/militar...764318756.html

Regards
      Glenn

Comment

So Tony, when can we expect YOUR book. I'd expect at least 8 volumes unless Prussian ends up with 2.

Comment

Schiffer Book

Glenn

If it's anything like Schiffer's previous Pickelhaube book -the one by Sanders- then I'm afraid that it's going to more of a coffee-table book rather than an in-depth reference.

Don't get me wrong, some Schiffer books work excellently with just a minimum of text -the two volumes by Woolley are a good example, and Kurtz's Fallschirmjager book works very well by using a good selection of wartime shots and close-ups to complement the larger colour plates- but as a collector I would like more text, official regs and original photos in a book on Pickels.

The lack of any EM's helmets is also a serious handicap -I believe their previous Pickelhaube book only had a handful of EM's helmets among the vast majority of officer's types shown. (I say I believe because I took a good look and decided not to buy it...)

Hope this is of some interest, all the best

Paul.

Comment

Look first - but later

Hi Paul,

Agreed. I want something with official regulations and detail. I should certainly want to inspect a copy before coughing up! The blurb says "Informative and detailed descriptions trace the changing models and patterns, as well as the “nuts and bolts” of assembly". Hopefully some of the bigger bookshops in these parts will get a copy in so that this statement can be confirmed.

Regards
            Glenn

Comment

Originally posted by Brian S
              So Tony, when can we expect YOUR book.
              No time and no desire. Much of what you get by shelling out $80 USD or more, you can get for free. For example, Pickelhaube development:
              http://www.kaisersbunker.com/pe/pe.htm

Pickelhaube Rank Identification:
              http://www.kaisersbunker.com/hp/index.htm

I am adding to the site constantly and trying to improve it, while print does not change. Plus, you can't e-mail a book and ask it for detailed photos of something, while I do this all the time for people. T

Comment

Bookshop frustration....!

Originally posted by Glenn2438
                Hi Paul,

Agreed. I want something with official regulations and detail. I should certainly want to inspect a copy before coughing up! The blurb says "Informative and detailed descriptions trace the changing models and patterns, as well as the “nuts and bolts” of assembly". Hopefully some of the bigger bookshops in these parts will get a copy in so that this statement can be confirmed.

Regards
                Glenn
                Hi Glenn

Sadly, most major bookshops don't take a chance on stocking titles like this anymore -they'd much rather pile the shelves with cheap and cheerful discounted biogs of third-rate celebs....

Are you anywhere near York? The Waterstones in York which closed recently used to have a fantastic military section run by a very knowledgable buyer -a guy called Chris Sommerville, who was into militaria in general and actually published a couple of books on the Napoleonic Wars- they used to carry many Schiffer titles, including the pricier ones. The other Waterstones in York is very much open, but having not been recently I don't know if their military section has taken on the range of the now closed store. Either way, if you're local then it could be worth a go. If not, give Foyles a try next time you're in London.

All the best

Paul.

Comment

York

Hi Paul,

I work in York and I know Chris who used to work in the "old" Waterstones. He used to get some pretty decent stuff in the military department. Unfortunately when they moved just across the road the military department took a decided down-turn I don't think he works for Waterstones anymore. I have not seen him for a while.

Now Folyles: Theres a place

Regards
                  Glenn

Comment

Glenn

Sorry to hear that there's less choice than there used to be in York -the military section in the "old" Waterstones was a place where I bought many quality military books in the days when I lived there, many of them being impulse purchases that I just happened to see on the shelves. Even the Waterstones in Piccadilly, which has a large military section, seems to concentrate more on bulk stock rather than a broad range of titles.

Looks like Foyles it is, then...

Cheers

Paul.

Comment

Glenn should complain, he's got the best library of anyone here

Comment

Postage

Originally posted by Brian S
                        Glenn should complain, he's got the best library of anyone here
                        Yes Brian,

but it costs me a fortune in postage from Germany

Regards
                        Glenn

Comment

Anyone care to....

....post an updated opinion on this book?
                          To be truthful I'd rather have a nice, big, fat, full colour "coffee table" book than an instructional manual as I'll never be able to afford a real officer's 'haube.
                          This looks like just what I'd like.
                          Thanks,
                          Eric Gaumann

Comment

I'll let you know...

I've just placed an order for this book so I'll let you all know what I think of it...mind you , I may be a bit biased as officer's headgear is all I collect .

Cheers,
                            Arran.

Comment

Hi Glen,

I am new to the forum, but noted your interest in a book on pickelhauben with 'nuts and bolts' information. I just recently got one from Germany that is really quite good for the basic stuff - for example, comparing how an officer's helmet differs from an enliste man's helmet for each major type - plenty of that sort of detail.

It is called "Militaerische Kopfbedeckungen der Kaiserzeit," by Reiner Hermann, published by Motor Buch Verlag.

Send me a note, if you like, and I'll send you some scans.

Cheers,

Laurie

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X