Ref. Book Recomendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ref. Book Recomendations

I've decided to start collecting SA and Heer Daggers. The mantra of the forum is always research before you buy. I've been trying to search old threads to get an idea but wanted some advice. What reference books would you recomend?

Here are some titles I've picked off some old threads to help.
    - Atwood, J.P. : The daggers & Edged weapons of Hitler's Germany
    - Bowmann, J.A. : Third Reich daggers 1933-1945
    - Glemser, Kurt : A Guide to Military Dress Daggers, Volumes I - IV
    - Fisher, R. : NS dagger maker trademarks, Fisher quick reference
    - Johnson, Thomas : collecting the edged weapons of the Third Reich (8 volumes + an index one)
    - Leslie, D.; Raidl, Richard : a reference on daggers & dress bayonets
    - Lubbe, Klaus : Deutsche Seitengewehre und Bajonette 1740-1945 (German sidearms & bayonets 1740-1945)
    - Stephens Frederick J. : Reproduction, Recognition
    - Stephens Frederick J. : Daggers, swords and bayonets of the Third Reich
    - Techet, Wayne H. : German Etched Dress Bayonets
    - Walker, Gary; Weinand, Ron : German Clamshells and other Bayonets
    - Walker, Gary; Weinand, Ron : NPEA Daggers and Associated Knives
    - Weehler, George T. : Seitengewehr : History of The German Bayonet 1919-1945
    - Wittmann, Thomas : exploring the dress daggers of the German army volume 1

If you had to pick the top 4 for Heer and SA collecting what would they be?

thanks
    Jack T

Many good titles to choose from in your list.But since you intend on focusing on SA and Heer daggers,I'd start with Wittmann's Heer book.Next would be Johnson's series(I don't have them all myself,so I can't say which is best for SA's).
    If you're more interested in etched bayos,Techet's book is a must!
    If you're more into other nations(besides Germany)knives,Kurt Glemser's seriers of books are the ones to get!
    The books by Walker/Weinand,Weehler,and Fisher also have their place in my collection.The other books I don't have ,so I don't know about them.

Comment

The books by Tom Johnson and Tom Whitmann have pretty much filled the bill for me. Whitmann's reference has a volume just on Heer. Tom Johnson's set has a lot of information on the SA. Tom Johnson's volume one is just required reading for any blade collector in my opinion.
      Ignored Due To Invisibility.

Comment

Another book that would be well worth getting is "Me Fecit Solingen(Solingen Made Me)",by Skipper Greenwade!

Comment

Frankly, all the books on your list and the other titles mentioned in the responses here make great reading but if I had to narrow it down to the first ones to purchase, I think most collectors would agree that you should start out with Johnson's Volume I, regardless of where your real interest in Third Reich blades lies. For someone wanting to collect Army's run - don't walk - to get a copy of Wittmann's Army book. In my opinion, the best book on the Party-form (1933 pattern SA, SS, NSKK, NPEA) daggers is a work entitled, "The Cold Steel Weapons of the SA, the SS, and the NSKK of the NSDAP", by Ernst J Niederhofer, but it will may be hard to find.

Good luck & happy hunting!
          Skip

Comment

Skipper,never heard of the book you mentioned!I'll have to keep my eyes open for a copy!

Comment

Skip , is correct on this book.
              If your a SA guy, that should be the first

Comment

Jack,

You can never have too many reference books. They all have at least some bit of information that makes them welcome on the bookshelf. Some more than others.

For Heer and SAs I would suggest the fooloeing as must haves.
                The Wittmann Army dagger book.
                The Johnson series.
                Fiishers guide.

After that and some may disagree but never the less,

Stephen's Reproduction Recognition Vol II.

After that anything you care to add to your library.

Best regards,

Tony
                An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

Comment

Thank you to all for the recommendations, needed to know which books to buy first and you have helped a lot. Currently working on building my library on a limited budget.

Jack T

Comment

Jack, one thing Ebay is fairly good for is books. Most of the reference books in my library were purchased from there at about half what they would have cost at a show or from the publisher.
                    Ignored Due To Invisibility.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X