Detlevs book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Detlevs book

i was interested in Detlevs book and went on his site to check it out..i noticed that the prices in the book are in German Deutsche Mark..does this cause a problem when determining value of medals in English terms...how long are the prices in this guide good for? is this book worth getting? I'm on the fence about it and i need some advice to push me one way or the other...opinions please...also what about Formans 3rd edition?

Thanks

Detlev's book

It's definitely worth getting, but don't pay any attention to the prices.
    George

Comment

George is right, just use it as a reference guide. Same is true of Forman. Otherwise, I recommend you get both books, they are great.

Comment

Originally posted by George Stimson
        It's definitely worth getting, but don't pay any attention to the prices.
        i really need a book that has updated prices so that i can kinda determine what the approx worth of a badge that i'm looking to buy is...how do you guys determine the worth of badge versus selling price..is there maybe a site i can go to? maybe if Seba could add a site to his forum that gives approx. worth of badges and it could be updated every few years or so..(just a thought)

Comment

Ultimately, the price of a badge is determined by what you want to pay for it. Thats what I always go for, and many other guys here, I am sure. There is really no book or website that has up-to-date realistic prices, plus you have to remember that prices are different in Europe and in the US. The only thing I could recommend is this: if you are looking to buy a certain badge, do a search for it on most major dealer sites and average out the price. Or you could always post a question here and see what the other members think of the price.

Comment

The guys are absolutely correct-- a badge or whatever is only "worth" what YOU are willing to pay for it. That certainly varies from person to person.

Price guides-- ANY price guides, for ANY collecting field-- are out of date as they come off the printing press. But what happens in reality is that ANY price guide becomes Established Truth and a "Bible" witrh which everyone falls right into line. Especially dealers.

Use a price bible as a GUIDELINE. Like highway speed LIMITS, they all tend to become the "mandatory MINIMUM" rather than the TOP limit, despite all the introduction disclaimes about mint condition pieces.

But nobody is or can MAKE anyone buy anything.

And if anyone is buying simply on quote unquote Book "Value," then you are in the wrong hobby. Speculate in swamp land, the stock market, or beanie babies (do those things even still exist?). I collect militaria for the HISTORY, not RESALE potential.

Comment

Hi Richard,

I bought Detlev's price guide a couple of weeks ago. Since it was printed in 1999 I saw it as a nice reference guide. I think as a price guide is still has some use, the only think you have to do is the replace DM by € and all of a sudden it becomes quit accurate again at least for third reich badges. Realy incredible in just 4 years.

KR
              Philippe

Comment

i would just use the price guide to get a general idea of what a badge should be worth..i have no idea what a battle worn/good condition CCC in Silver should sell for..and with some idea i would be better prepared to wheel and deal with a seller.. i just bought a Krim Shield in very good condition from E-stand for $145.00, i really wanted that shield and i shopped around different militaria sites to get a general going price..i thought, compared to what i seen, it was a fair price..but i lost out on a Krim Shield in about the same condition that was selling for $30 less a few days before...so did i pay too much or was it worth it? if i would have waited on a price drop, someone else might have snapped it up..so to me it was worth it..i just need to get a feel for what's fair and what's overpriced...so a good guide would help...and believe, me if i thought something was way too much, i would wait for something better.I realize when a seller sells something they want to make somewhat of a profit, so most items will be a little higher than normal..its the American way..Thanks for all the advice, i'll be looking into getting Formans 3rd edition, and Detlevs book soon...

Comment

145 USD is certainly the upper end for a Krim but still acceptable if the shield is a very nice one.

Cheers, Frank
                  Cheers, Frank

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X