Gordon's book and round 3 IC's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gordon's book and round 3 IC's

Iron Cross 1939 by Mr. Williamson, on the cover is a IC2 with round three, and the first page has a round 3 IC1-any signifigance?, I'd like to find out more about the round "3's" of the IC...any and all information would be appreciated, including going prices in US dollars--Thanks

I think that the going price for a Round 3 EK2 is between $275 - $300.
    Detlev Niemann recently sold a Round 3 EK1 for just over $1300. And Carsten Baldes currently has one on his site for 850 Euros.
    (The pic on the cover of Gordon's book is from a wartime postcard.)
    George

Comment

The card

Specifically....
      George

Comment

intersting is that a photo or do you have the actual postcard George? Im guessing the latter, whats the signifigance of gold oakleaf branch...postcard translates "It Can Truimph Only To One And That Is We"--Kinda of reminds me of The U.S. Armys current catch phrase "a Army of One"..thanks George

Comment

EK 2...Round 3

Here's an example of a EK 2 with round 3 worn on a dual purpose medal bar...
          Warmest Regards ... John

cimilitaria.com

Comment

Close-up of the EK 2...
            Attached Files
            Warmest Regards ... John

cimilitaria.com

Comment

Von,

You're right, I have the actual card.
              I'm don't know about the oaks' siginifcance. Maybe they're just decorative.
              I can't read the date on the postmark, but the writer is complaining to the addressee that their New Years card didn't arrive until May 21, 1940 -- so that dates the card somewhat.
              George

Comment

I think the oak leaves symbolize strength, just like the laurel leaves you always see on medals symbolize victory. Just about every german Kampfabzeichen features oakleaves, laurel leaves and sometimes both. The Imperial Centarenmedaille has a sprig of oaks and a sprig of laurels on it. Even German sportsbadges feature oak leaves. I think its a "Tradition" thing. Cheers, CB.

Comment

A point of interest about the round "3" EKs in earlier reference materials.

DAS EISERNE KREUZ by Harald Geissler published in 1995 shows an EKII example.

DAS EISERNE KREUZ 1813-1939 compiled for the Deutsches Ordensmuseum Ludenscheid by Jorg Nimmergut published in 1990 also shows a round "3" EKII. This is the earliest EK reference in my library that shows this variation.

Just some thoughts.
                  An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X