Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proposed Book from Bender Publishing on Imperial Aviation Badges

Gentlemen,

Roger Bender is considering doing a book on Imperial Aviation badges. This would be the most comprehensive book ever done on the subject. I have discovered one of the largest collections of Imperial aviation badges out there. I will be photographing this collection, measuring and weighing it for this book. I will also include badges submitted to me by forum members in the book. I am extremely excited about this project because a well done research piece does not exist at this time for the subject.

I have a few questions for all of you:

1. Approximately, how many Imperial aviation militaria collectors are out there (compared to 3rd Reich collectors).

2. How much would you be willing to pay for an excellent-quality, well-researched, hard cover and full color book devoted ONLY to Imperial aviation badges. This book would be geared for the collector in mind.

I am asking these questions because, I would probably be writing this book and we need to get a rough estimate on the demand such a book will have.

Thank you,

Yuri

Imperial Aviation badge book

I'd buy it, and can provide some photos and documents for it.
    I would pay whatever it sells for--ask Roger!
    Erich
    Festina lente!

Comment

There has NEVER been such a book, so there would be a demand for one.

There are also enormous pitfalls, as perusing some of the threads here will show, because there a zillions of fakes and a "Tucker book" on Imperial neither here nor theres would be quite... unpleasant. Just bring up our Recent Adventures in Poellath versus Pöllath badges, or the Juncker "crown AND moon" problems.

I know enough of the "Top Imperial Guys" for them to know who your main source is... drop me a PM with the name and I will see what his rep is with them. Such matters ARE important BEFORE rather than Too Late, God forbid.

Comment

Hi Yuri,

I'd certainly be interested in the book but I echo Rick's points about contentious badges! There is too much here-say regarding the Imperial Flight Badges. Some are relatively well known but others are virtually unknown.

What I'd really like to see in such a book is a comment about provenance - not who owns the badge not, but how far back it's history can be traced. For Third Reich references, this isn't such a big deal as items are generally better documented these days but Imperial items, 80+ years after the fact, is a different story. To be a ground-breaking reference, it needs to be very credible imo. This is a big ask but it will at least help the reader determine how much value/integrity a particular badge has. For example, I'm going to put more faith in a grey area badge if it has been in a clooection since 1950 as opposed to being purchased at Manion's last year.

Regards
        Mike K
        Regards
        Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Hello Yuri,

Count me in for two! I also have a Prussian pilot's badge that I would like to submit photos of.

Good luck!
          An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

Comment

I would buy such a book. The price range would depend on quality,picture quality amd format. A good book of 200 or so pages with 150-200 photos some or all in color with good descriptions would fetch between $60.00 and $90.00 I would think. I have a few badges some with expertise from Detlev. Let me know if you need them. JdL

Comment

Thank you for the very positive response. My next step is to start with photographing this massive collection. This will be the nucleus of my research project and once I have the photos, I will show them on the forum for confirmation.

Yuri

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X