Joyeux Noël (Merry Christmas)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

its ok

I just saw the film myself last night..its OK..not great (although the actress Diane Kruger is gorgeous!).

All sides were portrayed well, and the story is touching, but the film had a stage or play presence that just never gave a feeling that was the reality of the four brutal years of the Great War's cold and miserable trench warfare.

The uniforms were almost pristine, an enlisted man can apparently bring a girlfriend (who was the best part of the film!) to the front, and heck he can even spend the night with some privacy with her--in a trench--at the front--who knew?

The scene where our singing hero deserts was not my favorite either--war is hell, and I'm sure most would prefer to live in safety with our loved-ones, but most don't desert.

Decent film, but more of stage play. If want a good movie about the First World War, go for All Quiet on the Western Front or Galipoli.
    Last edited by billmunny; 02-08-2007, 11:11 AM.
    "We all have it coming, Kid" ("Unforgiven")

Comment

Since it is November and Christmas is just around the corner. A reminder about a great Christmas movie. Order now for a nice holiday movie.
      Great music too. I found the place that sells the sheet music for it.
      http://www.di-arezzo.co.uk/detail_no...cle=BEUSC00643

Comment

I liked the movie and the uniforms, but like I said before I buy all war movies I can find.
        Steve

looking for ANYTHING related to Pi.Btl.16 or Pz.Pi.Btl.16

Comment

Hello all,

I bought this film last Christmas, and will certainly watch it again this Christmas Eve; (when I return from work at 10pm, to go back at 8am).
          I think the film is a good Christmas movie; whilst not to good on factuality.
          It is entertaining and has the sentiment of the Christmas season, and we must not forget that the primary purpose for a film is to entertain; not to be a documentary!
          My grandfather was serving in the trenches as part of the BEF in 1914, and he told me of the football matches and comradeship that developed at the time between the British and German forces.
          Where he served the truce went on for over three weeks and he told me stories as a small child of how wonderful this period was.
          He was no soft touch either, ending up at Colour Sergeant in the Northumberland Fusiliers after having gained the MM on the first day of the battle of the Somme having eliminated two German machine gun nests and "neutralising" seventeen enemy soldiers alone.
          I think of him every time I watch this film!

Regards,

John.

Comment

Just a little something to think about Christmas, a Mary tin,
            Attached Files

Comment

I watched this film on Saturday on BBC2 and I have to say that I enjoyed it very much. Sure, as with ANY war film which recounts an actual event there will be those that pick at certain points in the script/screenplay, that is to be expected.

It should be remembered that this was NOT a documentary and of course has the interpretation of the director to contend with.

That said, these days whenever I hear critisism of any war film I instantly think of Hollywood's greates pile of 'pap' ever put onto cinema screens................"U-571".........when you compare that to the film topic of this thread, then I think my point becomes clear.

Merry Christmas.

Regards Richard.
              Always looking for Luftwaffe Kampfflieger related document groups. In particular anything to Kampfgeschwader 2.

Comment

Like Richard, I watched this film for the first time yesterday on the BBC. I enjoyed it for what it was.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Hello Again,
                  Just a reminder about one of my all time favorite Christmas movies (and tradition) and a very good war movie too.

Comment

I am now in posession of the said DVD (courtesy of Amazon) and will definatly be watching this film again with my Son before Christmas day.

I fully recommend this film to all of the WAForumites, it is not a documentary however, it is a really good film.

Regards Richard.
                    Always looking for Luftwaffe Kampfflieger related document groups. In particular anything to Kampfgeschwader 2.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X