Lumsden New Book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lumsden New Book

Anyone have Robin Lumsdens new book on awards, is it worth the 40.00.
    Warren [img]null[/img]

I'd have to say, regretably, no it ain't worth the money. Many of the illustrations are line drawings which in this day and age is to me, unacceptable when photos could easily have been found. Also many illustrations have been "lifted" from the new reprint of the 1944 Doehle book.
    I spotted a few factual errors but as I didn't buy a copy I can't give any reference to where these are in the book.

I'd have to give this one the "thumbs down",

Gordon

Comment

I am sorry but I am selling it very well.

JYN

Comment

Bonjour Jean Yves,
        Auriez vous par hasard le dernier bouquin de Patzwall sur les DKträgers ?
        Merci par avance
        Denis

Comment

Non désolé !
          Jean-yves

Comment

Robin Lumsdens book "Third Reich Militaria" which came out in 1989? was my first ever reference book. It served me very well. I still take it out now and again and leaf through it. The price reference list always make me cringe though . What a great little starter book. It was only about £10 too. I bought his "Detecting the fakes" book when it came out a few years later but found it a joke. Shame.

Regards

Des

Comment

I found his 1st book (soft cover) to be the pefect jeans back pocket guide for the beginner.
              It wasnt great, but it saved many a young collector a dollar or two by pointing out a good number of small points you need to know as a newbie.
              Detecting the fakes was okay in the same vein as well.

The problem is, as I understand it, His new books are not advancing, he basically republishes the old works... and reference books have advanced since then.

If you are really starting out, I still say the 1st book is a useful read. He has errors, but more in the conservative way.

Is the new book in the same format or hardcover ?

Comment

Chris,
                This is a brand new harcover book, I needed opinons on it necause I'd rather spend 40.00 on a useful book. I agree his first Militaria collecting books really jumpstarted my old collecting fever. They were two great little books but his recent dagger book and from what I here this medal book have a lot to be desired.
                Warren

Comment

In that case its probably like getting a paperback novel in an expensive tooled leather cover.
                  His books are worth it in the soft cover form, but does anyone really need them in hard cover ?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X