Holiday in Germany

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holiday in Germany

Hi I'm visiting Germany next year with my oldest son and was wondering if anyone has some tips on visiting war sites in Germany , maybe links to websites that may show these ?

Also does anyone know where the famous beer Hall is where the Nazi's had their famous Beer Hall Putsch in Munich. Was it close to the Feldherrnhalle ?

Any suggestions welcomed

Cheers

I recommend Munich.I went there on a 5 day visit a couple of years ago.I went on an organised 3rd Reich tour of the city the day after I arrived ,think it was around 10 euro and lasts a couple of hours-well worth it and enables you to familiarize yourself with the city afterwards.

Beer hall is no longer there but some of the beer halls ect where Hitler made his speeches are still in use and I ate and drank in some of them.(beer is strong so take it easy ! ) I got that drunk on two steins and it took me over an hour to find my way back to the hotel at midnight one of the nights.

I also took a day trip to Nuremberg whilst on my 5 day excursion.Armed with a map from the train station I walked up to the court where the trials took place then walked back into central Nuremberg and took a tram ,think it was tram No9 which took you to the Zeppelin fields.

I took a guided tour of Dachau -just a short train trip south of Munich.

Do your research before you go and make an itinerary of things you want to see and do. Make sure you take the guided tours.
    Troy

Comment

I would suggest checking this website as it list most of the places in Germany as well as other European countries.

https://www.tracesofwar.com/sights/c...sp?countryid=7

Hope it helps planning your holidays.

Best regards,

Josep

Comment

Originally posted by Hofstetter View Post
        Also does anyone know where the famous beer Hall is where the Nazi's had their famous Beer Hall Putsch in Munich. Was it close to the Feldherrnhalle ?

You could stay at the Munich City Hilton in the Rosenheimer Straße; it's where the Bürgerbräukeller once was. (There's nothing left of it, though.) The Feldherrnhalle is about half an hour walking distance from there.
        Last edited by HPL2008; 12-22-2019, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions Troy and HPL, and the link Josep, all appreciated.

Troy how did you get on to/find the organised 3rd Reich tour of the city, sounds like just what we want to get started. (Oh just found it, good old Google search)

Best Regards Greg
          Last edited by Hofstetter; 12-23-2019, 05:06 AM.

Comment

Berlin, so much happened there. Very cool city.

Comment

I really enjoyed our tour of Hohenschwangau. If you are interested in the history of the family, then it is definitely worth a visit.

Remember that the beauty of Munich is not only it`s main attractions, but in sitting in a beer garden or in a brewery eating traditional food and drinking German beer, finding a bargain in one of the many flea markets, sipping a cappuccino in one of the many italian coffee shops, doing "people's watching" in Maximilian Strasse, etc.
              Last edited by Rudkobing; 01-01-2020, 08:34 PM.

Comment

München best city on the globe for my view, you can use the subway and you are flexible to visit many places in Munich.

Comment

If you are in Munchen I will suggest to go also in Nurnberg (about 1h by train) they are the best place for Third Reich tours.

Munchen http://www.thirdreichruins.com/munich.htm

Nurnberg http://www.thirdreichruins.com/nuernberg.htm

Comment

Thanks guys, and for the links Francesco

We will be visiting Munich, Linz, Nuremberg, Dresden, Cottbus, Berlin, Wolfsburg, Cologne, Bingen, Stuttgart, and Bad Tolz. we are hiring a car and staying two nights in each city (just passing through Cottbus)

Can anyone tell me where the infantry regiment Grossdeutschland barracks were in Cottbus and is the building still there ?

Comment

When you're in Dresden, I recommend visiting the Militärhistorisches Museum der Bundeswehr [Bundeswehr Military History Museum].

Comment

Originally posted by HPL2008 View Post
                        When you're in Dresden, I recommend visiting the Militärhistorisches Museum der Bundeswehr [Bundeswehr Military History Museum].
                        Are you serious?

Comment

Hi I'm visiting Germany next year with my oldest son and was wondering if anyone has some tips on visiting war sites in Germany , maybe links to websites that may show these ?

Any suggestions welcomed

Cheers
                          When exactly are you in germany? I live close to munich and Bad Tölz, could show you a lot.
                          Right now im travelling at your continent...

Comment

Originally posted by Gran Sasso View Post
                            Are you serious?
                            Yes, I am.

I am not happy at all with what the architect did to the building, but there are plenty of outstanding items on display. I for one do not regret the day I spent there.

(Having said that, my favorite is the Heeresgeschichtliches Museum in Vienna, but that city wasn't on Hofstetter's list. Of course it's in Austria, not Germany, but so is Linz.)
                            Last edited by HPL2008; 01-09-2020, 03:47 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions Troy and HPL, and the link Josep, all appreciated.

Troy how did you get on to/find the organised 3rd Reich tour of the city, sounds like just what we want to get started. (Oh just found it, good old Google search)

Best Regards Greg
                              Sorry for my late reply.I went straight to the tourist office near Munich train station and they take payments and give maps and instructions as to the organised meeting places for the tours.
                              Troy

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X