The Halbe FOrest 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Halbe FOrest 2019

All, I made my fourth, and probably final, visit to Halbe and Märkish-Bucholz last week to walk the battlefields. Each time I go, there are fewer and fewer items to be seen - the area is now so picked over that unless you are willing to risk getting arrested with a metal detector, the odds of seeing anything really interesting are pretty slim. Still, an interesting and peaceful afternoon with a couple of nice surprises. Hope you enjoy!

First up, my most interesting find, what looks to be a Russian 76.2 mm round, but I didn't get too adventurous in looking it over - that a one Euro coin sitting on it.

Don
    Attached Files
    Last edited by DonC; 08-02-2019, 10:42 AM.

More...
    Attached Files

Comment

Well, looks like the site is jacked up again and I can't currently upload more photos, so I will try again later.

Don

Comment

Thanks Don can you supply some more information on the Halbe forest about how to get there from Berlin if possible, I have always wanted to go but have been unable to get myself there.

Comment

It's a fairly easy trip from Berlin if you have a car - about 45 minutes or so depending on traffic. You get on the A13 and then turn off on the L74. Most of the foxholes are between the towns of Halbe and Märkisch-Bucholz.

Comment

Thanks Don for the information, unfortunatly for me it would be by public transport so I imagine it will be alot more difficult to get there.

Comment

Originally posted by slayer View Post
              Thanks Don for the information, unfortunatly for me it would be by public transport so I imagine it will be alot more difficult to get there.
              Hello Mate,

Not to highjack Don's superb thread but I visited Halbe in June using public transport whilst I was staying in Berlin. There are direct trains to Halbe from Berlin Ostkreuz station which I think from memory run every hour. The journey takes about 30 - 40 minutes and a return ticket was approx €12.

If you want any more information feel free to PM me.

Here are some photos from my trip:
              Attached Files
              Last edited by IanC; 08-06-2019, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Let's see if this works now... The rail station at Halbe - the old receiving hall has been converted into a reception venue - I interrupted someone's Hochzeit while taking pictures...
                Attached Files

Comment

B
                  Attached Files

Comment

Hi Ian, awesome thanks for the extra info and pics next time I am in Berlin I will definetly will be making this trip out there and following your tips on how to get there.

Just a query in the last pics are they Australian flags on the hall ?

Comment

Hi Slayer

I believe it is the New Zealand Flag.

The following article explains.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/h...of-berlin?rm=a

Kind Regards

Steve

Comment

Awesome link - thanks, Steve.

Don

Comment

thanks Steve very interesting article,

Comment

The New Zealand flag has red stars (of the Southern Cross) which have a white border. Australia has white stars of the Southern Cross but these flags are missing the larger Commonwealth Star to be Australian.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X