BD Publishing

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

D-Day 75th Anniversary Celebrations in Normandy - June 2019, who's going???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

D-Day 75th Anniversary Celebrations in Normandy - June 2019, who's going???

For several years now I have been making the trip across the pond to Normandy for the D-Day Commemoration Celebrations. This year is the 75th anniversary of D-Day, so I will be there for sure, as will several friends from the US and a couple other countries.

I am just curious who else plans on attending?

Also, tell us about ceremonies and events that you know are scheduled, whether you plan to attend them or not.
    Attached Files

https://www.daksovernormandy.com/

I'm not going but this is going to these jumps have been in the planning for almost two years.

Comment

Yes, that jump is going to be a big event. The C-47's are even flying across the channel from England this time. We will be watching this with our 101st Airborne veteran friends.

I am just not sure where the paratroopers will be landing. Will they land on one of the original American DZ's? The only reference I see on the DAK's website is to Carpquet Airport near Caen.
      Last edited by WWIIBuff; 12-30-2018, 06:42 PM.

Comment

Some of the original DZ's. The first drop leaves out of England and drops in the original zones. They say there will be officials at those zones to stamp the jumpers passports as they will be just entering France. That's going to be a unique stamp for sure to look back on.

Comment

Originally posted by can View Post
          Some of the original DZ's. The first drop leaves out of England and drops in the original zones. They say there will be officials at those zones to stamp the jumpers passports as they will be just entering France. That's going to be a unique stamp for sure to look back on.

That's awesome! I never thought about that.

Comment

Here is an annual event that will take place in Normandy next June. It is pretty cool to participate in if you are a re-enactor, or just to watch it like me.
            Attached Files

Comment

Are there any infos about the route of the walk?

Comment

On the 2nd of June in St Mere Eglise there is a Harley Davidson meet. Only ww2 Harleys can enter and so far there are over 110 entries. They will be static for display for the public then out on a ride. Should be good. I think its happening on the 2nd due to the fact that St Mere is not accessible to vehicles during the main celebrations.
                Operation Cobra Normandy 44

In order to maintain peace we must prepare for war.

Comment

Ill be going!

SOOOOO EXCITED!!!!!

BTW John...that was a super sweet fanny pack in 2003.

Chris G.

Comment

Originally posted by hoover View Post
                    Are there any infos about the route of the walk?

I do not, but I am sure that if you contact Emanuel at Deadman's Corner Museum, he can provide that information.

Originally posted by Operation Cobra View Post
                    On the 2nd of June in St Mere Eglise there is a Harley Davidson meet. Only ww2 Harleys can enter and so far there are over 110 entries. They will be static for display for the public then out on a ride. Should be good. I think its happening on the 2nd due to the fact that St Mere is not accessible to vehicles during the main celebrations.

Thanks for the information. We'll try to make it there for that event. It is too crowded around June 6th to visit St. Mere Eglise, so this would be perfect. I am sure my friend Johan from Belgium will be there with his WLA "The Liberator". http://www.theliberator.be/indexmenu.html

Originally posted by Christopher G. View Post
                    Ill be going!
                    SOOOOO EXCITED!!!!!
                    BTW John...that was a super sweet fanny pack in 2003.
                    Chris G.
                    Arrgghh! I was hoping nobody would notice that fanny pack! But I have to bring it again this time because I will re-enact that picture with my son.
                    Yes, we are going to have a great time Chris, so I am glad you are joining us.
                    Last edited by WWIIBuff; 01-12-2019, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Hi John, will see you there ...

Bourses aux antiquités militaires

Saturday, June 1st - Picauville, Salle Polyvalente Jean-Claude Flambard
                      Sunday, June 2nd - Vierville sur Mer, Place de l’école
                      Sunday, June 2nd - Grandcamp-Maisy, Salle Omnisport (Avenue Colonel Courson)
                      Monday, June 3rd - Sainte Mère Église, Hall Market
                      Wednesday, June 5th - Ecausseville, Hangar à Dirigeables
                      Friday, June 7th - Carentan, Hall Market
                      Saturday, June 8th - Sainte Marie du Mont, Sports field
                      Collector of Kriegsmarine and Küstenartillerie items

Regards
                      Eduardo

Collecting Kriegsmarine !!!: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=725610

sigpic "Deutsche Kriegsmarine"

Comment

Hi Eduardo, I look forward to seeing you again!

Comment

Enjoy and take it all in, I was there for the 70th Anniversary with a D-Day veteran friend and it was awesome, one of the biggest events Ive ever witnessed.

Comment

Originally posted by nd164th View Post
                            Enjoy and take it all in, I was there for the 70th Anniversary with a D-Day veteran friend and it was awesome, one of the biggest events Ive ever witnessed.

That is the best experience in my opinion, to go there with a veteran of the battle and to visit the sites he fought at. I've been fortunate to do that a few times, and will do so again this year with my 101st Airborne veteran friend.

Comment

Here is another event I found...

19e Marche des commandos

June 4th, 2019

On Tuesday, June 4, the Association France 44 organizes its 19th commemorative march in homage to the Franco/British commandos of DDAY.
                              The departure is from la brèche de Collevlille, where 75 years ago they landed, to pass through Saint Aubin Arquennay, go through the Bridge of Bénouville and finish at Amfreville.
                              The march is reserved for persons in uniform of the Commandos units of the 1st Special Service Brigade (No. 3, 4, 6 Commando and 45th RM Commando).
                              The people in uniform of the 6th airborne we will wait on the bridge and can finish the walk with us.

So to your boots and come join us to pay homage to all these fighters
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by WWIIBuff; 01-15-2019, 01:23 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X