No announcement yet.

Just back from El Alamein!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The object with the helmeted soldier profile is part of a matchbox cover.
    Attached Files

Comment

If anyone has ever seen the Canadian film Passchendaele (2008) the main character is asked by an Officer during a recruiting drive what is the most important item a Soldier can carry, or something like that....expecting some kind of "patriotic answer" but the Sgt (decorated by DCM) replies "Dry matches"-and he goes on to say as if you are shaky and a smoke can steady you up

So, this is not just a matchbox cover, in dog soldiers terms of importance- if you know what i mean!

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by pattiewhack View Post
        I went up to the German Memorial at El Alamein today with a buddy from work in Cairo. The area is about 3.5 hours away from here and we really enjoyed and appreciated the experience so I thought I would post some photos for those interested. We were the only ones in the memorial and the bedouin groundskeeper came to let us in and have a chat.

hello pattiewhack, I was in El Alamein last week (November, 2019), and could not locate the Sherman with French FL-10 turret there. Do you have a location to provide to me for the next visit please?

Comment

Do you have any pictures of your visit? It seems the original pics are gone.
          Looking for a 30 '06 Chauchat magazine.

Comment

Same here . . . I would sure like to see the photos, but they are all gone!

Comment

photobucket crap for the future ...

Comment

Would be interesting to know if this memorial is even still standing given all the conflict in Libya since these photos were taken. Definitely can’t do any North Africa battlefield tours anymore.

Comment

Another El Alamein topic with still visible fotos

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ghlight=Ramcke

Comment

Originally posted by Gran Sasso View Post
                    Another El Alamein topic with still visible fotos

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ghlight=Ramcke
                    Thanks! Great thread, I doubt those ceremonies are held anymore.

Comment

El Alamein is in Egypt not Libya, there are tours there from Alexandria.
                      Looking for a 30 '06 Chauchat magazine.

Comment

Right, slipped my mind. Anyway I'd still be interested to know the state of WWII tourism & monuments in both countries, Egypt has been on a downward spiral as well.

Comment

Sfk20, have you been to Eygpt and gone or attempted to go on a battlefield tour. I ask because what you said about not being able to go out to the battlefields is what a friend of mine also said.
                          He was living in Cairo for a few years until things started to heat up over there a few years ago. He did get a bit more specific with details though. I was just curious about your experience.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X