No announcement yet.

Verdun, the tortured earth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lastly, we stoped at the chief forester's house for a chat. He related some recent finds to us. Included in this was a german 15cm gun, two trench mortars, and several trench shields.
    Attached Files
    pseudo-expert

Comment

I have also brought back some thing. Shell fragments, some fuses, shrapnel balls, grenade parts etc... A great trip over all with friends that I have met on the forums.
      pseudo-expert

Comment

Thanks Don
        Didn't you get to see the Crown Prince Bunker?
        Which one are you? Pick up any relic MG badges?

Eric

Comment

Hi Eric. No, I didn't have enough time to see it all. I'm the guy behind the camera. My next thread will cover my two days in the Argonne.
          pseudo-expert

Comment

My bringbacks are as follows, two artillery fuzes, shell cases and bullet heads, shrapnel balls, a shell plinter, stripper clips, a 5 centime piece, and an insulator. I have two grenade bodies on the way too. All of this was just laying on the ground.
            Attached Files
            pseudo-expert

Comment

Don - Thanks for the added photos. When was the church rebuilt? Was there any other structures nearby?
              Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did. Quote - Sophie Scholl - White Rose resistance group

Comment

Verdun is my favourite battlefield. Full of emotion and atmosphere. Thanks for sharing these photos Don. I`ve walked much of the battlefield and it was good to see your photos.

I`m off to the British sector next week to re visit Ypres, Neuve Chappelle and Loos. I only hope my photos turn out as well as these

Best

Jim

Comment

These will be in the Mail in the morning... off to the USA... So just incase they dissapear on the way... (They are 10000% EMPTY) I am taking the liberty of showing them for Don...

Maybe he still has them in some "as found" pics...
                  Attached Files

Comment

With the F1 Grenade I left one third of it "as was", and cleaned the other 2 thirds...
                    Attached Files

Comment

The "Thingy" underneath was found while cleaning the "Lemon" grenade... it is a blasting cap, which apparently could be as good as new when dry... So that will not be in the mail...

Comment

Amazing Thread... Such hallowed ground, much like the Devil's Den at Gettysburg... just horrific to imagine anyone having to fight and die over such a brutal landscape..

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X