Ohio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ohio

So I was wandering around the library today and picked up a book about Axis Sally (Mildred Gillars) the Nazi broadcast propagandist and was astonished to learn after she served her time in prison she settled right here in Columbus, Ohio !!! She died in the same hospital my three kids were born in ! She lived close to the Ohio State University ! Who would have ever guessed.

I read some about Axis Sally some years back and it seems to me that there was more than one Axis Sally, more than just one English-speaking German that gave broadcasts and were known as Axis Sally, is there anything to that?

Comment

Very interesting about Mrs. Gillars . . . There were at least two people "coined" with the name "Sally" . . . Rita Zucca was another one. I wouldn't doubt a few more existed . . .

Many well-known WW2 survivors settled Ohio after the War, including one of the most interesting people I ever met - Siegfried Knappe. He lived in a Retirement Community close to my home, prior to his death.

Comment

I met her once by chance, I was on a cota bus in the 70's and had just brought some German ww2 books back from the main library, she moved over to me and introduced herself. She was a very interesting person.

Comment

Meeting

Good story !
          Originally posted by Bcarver View Post
          I met her once by chance, I was on a cota bus in the 70's and had just brought some German ww2 books back from the main library, she moved over to me and introduced herself. She was a very interesting person.

Comment

Sally

No doubt there were several Sallys. Gillar was on the U. S. list as an enemy and targeted for arrest. She wasn't from a famous hollywood family, she was tried and convicted of treasonous activities. She did time at FCI Alderson in WVA. She came to central Ohio afterwards and taught school.
            Originally posted by DennyB View Post
            I read some about Axis Sally some years back and it seems to me that there was more than one Axis Sally, more than just one English-speaking German that gave broadcasts and were known as Axis Sally, is there anything to that?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X