GWA AAR - Fall 2003

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GWA AAR - Fall 2003

Kameraden and list members - Just got back from the Great War Association - Fall 2003 events. I have written an AAR for Saturdays event w/ some pics. Enjoy - Max Stiebritz

--------------------------------------

Neuville, France
    Lieber Hans,

I did not know if I was to write you or you were to write me. At least now I know you now owe me a letter. Our unit Infanterie – Regiment Nr. 459 (and namely my own 8. Kompagnie) has been heavily engaged in the last couple of days.

The entire 236 Division left Artois at the beginning of October, was sent to rest at Courtrai until the 17th, went into Iseghem by railroad, then marched to Roulers it remained until the 23rd. IR459 remained in reserve as a counterattacking regiment. Between the 23rd and the 26th we were in violent battle easy of Ypres , toward the Polygon wood and between this wood and Zonnebeke to oppose the British Advance.

Before going into line, the 2nd Battalion of the 459th Infantry Regiment had lost more than 200 men from artillery fire; on the 25th, my own 8. Kompagnie had only 12 men left.

8. Kompagnie having been relieved was sent to Neuville for R&R (Refit & Reorganize). Upon arriving at Neuville our guide managed to get lost (how do I always get the Unser Steins). Finally he recognized the way and we were assigned to a bombproof dubbed the Hotel Lust. The men and I quickly settled in and enjoyed a great ration of Lentil soap and we shared a bottle of 98% with no regards to rank or class.

After the meal, I enjoyed a relaxing smoke and decided it was time to see the surrounding area and check out defenses. Gefreiter Espeland went with me as we were checking out this once beautiful country. We saw the CO. HQ and reported to the area CO. It was our old friend Hauptman Louis Plack (a stern Prussian Offizier) with little regard of bull****.

The Hauptman was delighted in seeing us and asked about some of the 2nd Battalion Offiziers, many whom were now missing in action. He told me that nothing was going to happen today and I should go sit with my men and enjoy the day off.

Geftr Espeland and I wasted no time in taking his advice. We went back to bombproof and enjoyed a stew made from cabbage and potatoes from a nearby garten. We spent a wonderful evening to the sound of drumfire.

In the morning my Soldaten woke me and said the front was broken and we were in full retreat. I smoked my breakfast (under the idea that a breakfast was the most important meal of the day) and ate of piece of bröt. I found the Hauptman Plack who was organizing a fighting retreat. He said our orders were to delay the enemy as long as possible. He would need 8. Kompagnie to become a counterattacking force and plug any gaps in his line. He gave me strict orders not to fire until ordered so.

I stationed my men in a shallow ditch alongside a huge hedgerow. I then positioned my MG08/15 on the right end of the hedges. Gefreiter Dieter Karl Wacheleveski spotted a shell crater and settled in. His helper Musketier Gustav “Unser Stein” Schulz filled in some sandbags and fortified their position. The fighting in front of us was very intense as we saw the new enemy – “The American’s.” Finally a runner came up with orders from the Hauptman to come now and plug a gap in his line. I left my gunner to hold the right flank and followed the runner.

We advanced quickly and the Hauptman pointed up a slight rise as 225th Reserve Infantry Regiment was having severe problems with a large body of American Soldaten. I quickly accessed the situation and advanced my Kompagnie and the enemy withdrew quickly. We set out skirmishers and held the line till Hauptman Plack blew the retreat signal. Hauptman Minx (of the 225th) and I organized the men into a fighting withdraw and picked up our wounded along the way. We formed another line and held till the advancing American troops felt the cold steel of our MG08’s and 08/15’s.

As all of this was going on, my MG gunner – Geftr Wacheleveski and his helper busted up an Allied counterattacking force. Geftr Wacheleveski stated in his report that the enemy in full confidence left their trench and was within 25 yards of him when he opened up. The enemy had no time to react as his 08/15 tore into them. I mentioned the Gefreiter and the Musketier in my dispatches to Hauptman Plack.

When we retired far enough we were ordered to stand down and like good Soldaten we got off our feet and drank as much water as we could find. My orders came to me and I informed my men the good news. We were once again to march and take a new sector. On our way there we received the usual hospitable welcome by the enemy gunners. As they raked the road with shellfire, several men in my Kompagnie were hit with shell splinters and were sent to the Feld-Lazarett.

We found our new sector and Geftr Wilkosz and I went around seeing the new mess we were in. I found the CO. dugout and reported in. The CO. was so happy to see us, something about being relieved and this and that? His batman broke out a bottle of Turks Blood and we drank several toasts to the end of the war.

Geftr Wilkosz and I positioned our men and put a few in reserves. The rest of the men took refuge in a large dugout; while my second squad set up our MG’s into a crisscrossing field of fire. Something we Prussians are quite fond of doing. Not long after setting up we were ordered to take position in the trenches to the left of us. These were filled with men from Infantry Regiment Nr. 92. These were good natured men; I have felt often felt sorry for them because my men had played an awful lot of jokes on them.

Hauptman Plack informed me that at 1230 the 2nd Battalion of JR459 would lead off an attack on the American’s and French. This was to inform them the Prussians were in the neighborhood. Of course my Kompagnie were to do what we do best and be used as shock troops. At 1230 I led my men to a secondary trench on the left and reported to Unteroffizier Geyer of IR92. He showed me where my men could rest up before zero hour. I spread my men in three large craters and started to relax. At 1300 a small detachment of French and American Soldaten attacked this line but was driven off. My men fired upon the enemy from one of the shell craters and laid waste to them. Luckily the frogs had not seen my men’s “459” shoulder straps and those that ran for their lives did not report us being there. At 1315, Infantry Regiment 92 took off across no-man’s land with the 2nd Battalion 459 closely behind them. The enemy had no idea what was going on till we were almost in their trenches. I saw a French MG gunner open up and laid waste to many of brave Soldaten but he was not our objective. We were to raid the lines, pick up prisoners and gather information.

The veterans of IR92 quickly traversed the trenches by throwing bombs and charging. Many Americans and Frenchmen had simply thrown their weapons down and ran for their lives. I expected this from the French but thought these American’s would be more of a contest.

I had noticed that some American Soldaten on my left was firing from a trench block. Msktr Nagel, Linden and I threw a couple of bombs and chased the sorry victims away. We rounded the traverse and found a couple Russian Soldaten bleeding. One of them a large man was bleeding from the stomach and was begging for mercy. Msktr Nagel and Linden picked him up and threw him over the parapet. There was no time for being kind of mercy we had work to do. Msktr Heberle and Geftr Espeland quickly snatched up a couple trench ladders and formed a trench block and we wrapped some barbed wire around it and secured the area. I then positioned a couple men from 3. Kompagnie, IR63 there on went towards the right.

We left that trench and went down a communication trench and saw some French Soldats they were fighting back but gave way after a few well thrown bombs. As the bombs were in the air we moved forward and attacked. As we rounded that corner we discovered a French MG gunner. We immediately fell to the ground and hunkered behind a parapet. I told Msktr Heberle and Nagel to wait and listen and sure enough the French MG jammed and we scrambled and went after him. It was here where Msktr Linden was shot thru leg from a ricochet. We tied a wound dressing around it and sent him back to the Feld-Lazarett.

We left him and moved forward. We managed to get lost in the maze of French trenches. We could hear even hear their Offiziers yelling at them and decided our job was done. Msktr Schuster, Nikolaus and I ran into a small bombproof which we later found out belonged to the 80th Division, 318th Infantry Regiment of the AEF. We liberated a loaf of Bröt and a couple cans of Singe (Monkey Meat) and some misc paperwork that was lying on a small table. We then decided we really needed to get back to our lines. After running here and there, we discovered a Russian MG and decided we need a trophy for the Hauptman. We tried forever to get the screws to turn and finally give up. I saw that IR124 had written with chalk their unit designation. I being a good Soldat rubbed it off and wrote 8.K/JR459 on it. After running like animals in a slaughter house; Msktr Heberle finally recognized a French mess kit with a spoon in it and out he pointed the way out of the maze. we scrambled into no-man’s land. We were way off from our lines and ran like the devil himself was chasing us with a sickle and believe me he was! We fell into a shell crater and listened to the bullets shoot over our heads.

We feasted upon our liberated goods and drank a bottle of Pinard the Geftr Espeland. We waited about an hour and slowly slid over the crater lip and made it to our lines. Geftr Wacheleveski manning “Lola” his MG08 was overjoyed seeing us tumble into his position. We told him of our journey, joked about our fortunes and misfortunes. I am very relieved that this raid they are not as much fun as they used to be.

Not to bad for one day’s worth of work!

Well Hans I need to report to the CO and find Hauptman Plack and Zienta. You take care of yourself my Freund. When this is over lets get together in Oberglogua and enjoy a few biers.

Mit freundlichen Gruessen,

Max Stiebritz
    8.K/JR459

------------------------------------

Msktr Heberle showing off his wounded hand.

Msktr Nikolaus showing all the fatigue from a hard day's action.

Uffz Stiebritz (on the left) mowing down Doughboys and frogs
    with a MP1918i Bergman w/ snail drums).

Geftr Wacheleveski (on the left) and Msktr Hoffmann (on the right) of 8.K/JR459
    watching over a MG08/15 from the 12.MWK.

Uffz Wilhelm of the 12. MWK getting ready to fire his MG08/15

Stiebritz (me) and Wacheleveski looking at the carnage.

A Shellshocked doughboy found in a shell crater in front of our MG position.

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
X