Secrets of Normandy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Secrets of Normandy

I am returning to Normandy for the 60th anniversary next year and would like to see some of the out of the way, virtually unknown things that some of our European members and those that have traveled there several times may know about. This will be my third trip, so I've done the highlights. Now, for the little touches. Anybody got any secrets that they can pass along? Any photos?

w

hello jack today i returned from the beaches i saw about 10 museums i saw all the beaches
    but in a few days a write a full report
    in the ass.forum
    with best regards john
    sigpicalways seeking = BEVO Cap and breast insignia

Comment

Jack,

I've spent alot of time in Normandy, the last trip being in 1996. Things have changed there in the last few years, but I've found that if you do your homework before you go, and avoid places like Pegases Bridge, then you can feel like you are looking at untouched areas. If you can get a copy of RENDEYVOUS WITH DESTINY and 29 LETS GO! , the histories of the 101st and 29th Divisions, then you will be able to use the very detailed maps to retrace combat actions. Places like Pointe Du Hoc have been cleaned up considerably, but the WXYZ complex and the near-by bunkers from the gun battery at St. Martin De Varreville are passed-over by the masses.

The question Jack, is how much time do you have? If its a quick, first time trip, then you will HAVE to see the cemetary at Omaha Beach.
      Normandy is a wonderfull place.

Fergus.
      Last edited by Adrian Stevenson; 05-25-2003, 05:08 AM.

Comment

Fergus, this will actually be my third trip in the last 5 years. So, I've seen the big sites. Now looking for the little tucked away ones.

Comment

Jack,
          I assume you've been to the "Shipwreck Museum" (the one where the salvage guy recovered the sunken tanks, etc) outside Port-en-Bessin?

Greg
          sigpicFacebook "Tigers in the Ardennes" book page
          www.facebook.com/TigersintheArdennes

Comment

Greg, not been there. It is now on the list.

Comment

Jack,

This site has location info and some photos of the recovered vehicles.

Greg

http://battlefieldsww2.50megs.com/normandy_wrecks.htm
              sigpicFacebook "Tigers in the Ardennes" book page
              www.facebook.com/TigersintheArdennes

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X