Imperial German Ordnance and Battlefield Debris, Part 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Imperial German Ordnance and Battlefield Debris, Part 5

Now we come to another very interesting part of my threads. The grenade fuses!

I'll begin with a fuse for a german Leichter Minenwerfer 77 mm.

This is the LWMZ 16 (Leichter Wurfminenzünder 16 = light mortar mine fuse). It is some kind of double-fuse. A percussion fuse (Aufschlagzünder) and a burning time-fuse (Brennzünder) which could be set on the ring with the numbers (representing the seconds) and with a special tool (Zünderstellschlüssel).

The function was as follows:
    A safety charge was ignited by shooting the grenade/mine. A striking pin was driven in a blasting cap by the centrifugal force and ignited the safety charge. After this charge was burned out (after about 0,5 seconds, preventing the grenade/mine to explode inside the barrel by accident) it lightened the time fuse charge. This was some kind of slow-burning black powder and this charge, disrupted by the numbered ring, let the grenade explode after the set time. This setting was used for shrapnell-grenades. HE-or gas-grenades always used the percussion setting or a simple percussion fuse.

This item is the "bad" thing on a grenade. Without the fuse there is no BOOOM. Only a BLUB when the grenades disappeares in the ground without exploding. These fuses are beautiful, always well made and with many parts or completely in brass. Think about the fine mechanical function of this masterpiece of craftmanship. But even with these elaborate fuses up to 20 % of all grenades in WWI were duds!

This is the launcher, the Leichte Minenwerfer 77 mm:

Comment

Next one is a german HZ 05 (Haubitzenzünder 05). The number is always the year it was introduced (=1905). This is another double-fuse used for grenades from 100 - 150 mm.

This one is made of brass, zink and iron; maybe due material shortage. You can see the letters "m. V." on the brass-ring. This was the setting "mit Verzögerung" (= with delay) used for grenades fired on forts or fortifications.

Comment

Next one is the very rare Doppelzünder 92. Another double fuse, but this one is a very special example. You can see the words "n. F. o. Az." which means "neue Form ohne Aufschlagzünder". This fuse has got NO percussion setting and was used as a true time-fuse for the WWI model of the 88 mm FLAK!!!

The engraving "Sp. 17" is the maker (Spandau Waffenwerke) and the year it was manufactured (1917).

Comment

This is only the upper part of the Doppelzünder 92, but here you can see the empty ring were the time-charge was filled in! The hole above is for the flame of the safety-charge.

Comment

This might be of interest. Complete with safety clip for transportation and the detonator in the lower part:

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X