Williard Whitehead 15th USAAF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Williard Whitehead 15th USAAF

I just got off the phone with my grandfather and realized I haven't posted any of my collection related to his service. This is long overdue!!
    Williard Whitehead was born in Corbin, Kentucky on January 31, 1925. After completing high school, he joined the USAAF and was sent to Ft. Thomas for processing. He began Pilot training but the demand decreased so he was sent to gunnery school at Harlington, Texas. Williard was assigned to the 15th Air Force, 455th Bomber Group, 743rd Squadron as a top gunner on a B-24 Liberator. Missions from Cerignola, Italy took him to Austria, Czechoslavakia, Hungary, northern Italy, and Germany. By this time the Luftwaffe was destroyed and fighters non-existent. By the wars end, he had flown 4 missions. Some of the pictures show his gunner wings and A-11 flight helmet. The picture in the back is of a 1994 reunion, where the complete crew got togehter. My grandfather is the one on the bottom left of both pictures. I have attended the last 2 or 3 but two of the crew have passed. I am very thankful for his service!! At his home he has mounds of paperwork and his Ike jacket.He currently lives two hours away and I am fortunate to see him often. God Bless all veterans and the U.S.!!!

Comment

Comment

Comment

Sorry guys, honest mistake.
          I thought I was posting in the Living History section.
          Please move thread.

Thanks.

Comment

Done.
            George

Comment

Thanks George!!

Comment

That's really nice Nate. A salute to your Grandpa Whitehead!

Comment

Hi Nate,

Always makes it more interesting if it's related to family members

Brgds
                  Paul

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                  X