Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Volgograd (Stalingrad) worth visiting

Dear Sirs.

I'm thinking about going to Volgograd. I'm very interested in inputs on what there is to see there. Have anyone been there? Is it worth going?

If you have picture you want to share, please do so.

Stalingrad

Hello,

I must appologize first but I can not give you any specifics.

I have heard and seen some pics that Volvograd is a very interesting place to go. There are many museums there and many of the historic places are still intact. There is one museum where they have a huge (really giant) model of the entire city of Stalingrad before and after the War. Also there is the huge statue of the lady with the sword as the victory monumet.

I am sure that around the city itself, there are many interesting places to go and see. If you do a little research, you can probably find Gumrak Airfield and some of the other famous places.

Please, if anyone knows better, jump in.

Hope this has helped,

Cam

Comment

I was there a while ago, in 1988. Plenty to see there, of course:

- the legendary Mamayev Hill http://mamayevhill.volgadmin.ru/00_n.htm
      - the "Stalingrad Battle" museum http://panorama.volgadmin.ru/opis_eng.html
      - a good overview of the city's monuments with nice photos http://monument.volgadmin.ru/eng/pr.asp

Comment

Hello,

first i want to say sorry for my bad english!

Every year i spend some one or two weeks in Wolgograd / Stalingrad. My work there is to surch and recover german soldiers (in close work with the german VDK).
        I know the city and the area around the city very good. Without a russian guy who show you the diffrent interesting places i think you dont have a good chance to find the intersting ones.
        If you realy want to spend some time there so i can tell you that you never will forget this trip!

The city is very intersting to see some relicts of the fight. The museum is very nice and since last year you can visit the last bunker from Paulus also. In my opinion not intersting but now you can go inside.

When you go outside the city you can visit many many diffrent places which are very intersting. Its hard to see all the bones from humans. You can see them all the times. For me it makes me sometimes bad and in the next time i am happy to be there.
        There are bunkers in every "Balka". You can visit the last airfields Pitomnik and Gumrak (the official airfield today). But there are many other places too. You have to see also the Tatarenwall, Dreih******252;gelgrab or the biggest cementery of Rossoschka (i visit him every year) and so on. But you need someone to find all this places. You can stand in the area of Pitomnik and i be sure that you dont know it. There is nothing there only the bunkers.

So if there are more guys who wants to make a trip (only to visit the interesting places not to dig up material!!!!) so i think its no problem to build a group for next year.

Best wishes
        Flo

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X