What does one do in reenactments?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What does one do in reenactments?

I was thinking about getting into this (maybe), but became very discouraged when I saw the reenactor thread on the SS uniforms forum here at WA (man, that looks really bad). I now wonder if maybe I shouldn't just collect repro uniforms for their historic interest and make sure nobody knows about it.

Still, I thought perhaps I'd ask, anyway. What's it like being a reenactor? What does a reenactor do?

Thanks for any info for the less educated (like me)...

Scott

I think a lot of re-enactors spend most of their time eating junk food.
    A lot of photos of them show seriously overweight people crammed into uniforms which are bursting at the seams.
    RAY.

Comment

Hey,
      I resemble that comment!! Seriously though, In most European countries where they cannot have live military weapons. They stand around and look pretty or do what is called living history. Here in the U.S. with our right to keep and bear arms (for as long as it lasts) we can actually own real guns and fire them with blanks! Personally I only do WW1, but the basis is the same. There are different kinds of reenactors. The Powder Burner, just comes out to have fun and fire as many blanks as possible in the shortest possible time, whether there is a need to or not. The Farb, someone who knows the regs and honors them mostly in the breach. Say a WW1 guy who uses stuff from when he did CW and WW2 and says "If they had it they would have used it" and "I saw a picture of a WW1 guy once with rubber soled shoes, but I can't remember where. I can use em now right?" Their motto is "The exception is my Rule". (My understanding is the SS guys are the biggest farbs in WW2) Then there is the real reenactor who tries to do right, gets the correct kit per his unit regs, helps with the unit work that has to be done and talks like a soldier from whatever period and country he is portraying. He does not talk about what the Blue Jays are doing this season etc. There is also the threadcounter or "Stitch nazi" he is the real reenactor on steroids. He has to have every piece in his kit just perfect and is not satisfied with anything less than perfection. He is the kind that will sit up late at night hand detailing a uniform, adding bar tacks, etc. as they are on an original issue uniform. Then as soon as he gets in the field he finds a mud puddle so he can dirty the uniform up so he looks like a real frontschwein ( soldier in combat zone).
      Oh, I am sorry. That was not the question. What does a reenactor do? Well, he gets bored, sometimes he gets so caught up in it he gets scared, he works, he fills sand bags, he gets exhausted(from the work, the sandbags and the fighting), he laughs, he complains about the Nco's and officers, sometimes he actually gets wounded (we use real mortars and fire mortar rounds that have knocked people out) or cut by barbed wire, he gets killed (but only for a little while), he gets lost, he falls in shell holes in the dark. In short, if he is doing it right, he does everything a real soldier does. That is the general idea, right? He also may do living history events where he gets the chance to educate the public about the particular period of time he is portrying. At one event which started on a Friday, the local school board, bussed in 4000 students, all at one time. Those kids mobbed us, but they are the future (or lack of it) of our hobby. I had a great time talking with those kids and hopefully they retained just enough to make an impression on them. If you have any interest in WW1 here is the link for my unit

Comment

Although I do not do (nor have I ever done) reenactments, it seems like a great way for people that share the same or similar interests to get together, discuss the topics they love and share knowledge. Some advanced outfits even have vintage vehicles, so it is a great way to get to see such rare stuff.
        When you go home
        Tell them for us and say
        For your tomorrow
        We gave our today

--Inscription in the 5th Marine Division cemetery,
        Iwo Jima 1945

Comment

Hello,
          visit here: http://ww2reenactors.proboards35.com/index.cgi
          and talk to the reenactors.
          You will find out that there are different philosophies, grades of authenticity, etc.
          There are great units and farbs.
          Go, but Jenny Thompson's book "War Games". It contains all you need to know.
          I'm doing this for 20 years now and still having fun.
          My group is pushing the limits of WW2 reenacting and it is a great experience.
          Hey, you find my gang here: www.fjr6.de.vu

best regards,
          Volker

Comment

Sadly whenever someone is doing it wrong, it gets passed around - like the overweight-blue-jean-wearin'-handlebar-mustached-SS scharfuhr...do not kid yourself, they are out there...on both sides. There are those people that picked up something on ebay and want to play without really getting into the subject. A similar thing happens now and then around here too.

But, there are those that like Walter said, share a common interest and care about presenting the soldier or airman or whatever the right way. Dan laid it out prettty good - there are a variety of events to participate in. If you are into public teaching, there are lots of events that coincide with a local fair or celebration in which reenactors set up an encampment or display to educate the public - there may or may not be a scripted battle involved in which the evil Germans are routed by the Glorious Allies. Then there are tacticals (my favorite) that involve a set of objectives for both sides with (ideally) clearly spelled out rules of engagement and moderators (referees). Each side will deploy at different ends of a large track of land and then will proceed to meet their objectives. Sometimes it's a big game of capture the flag, hold an area or such, cut the line of communication, secure an area and repel counterattacks, etc etc. The goal is to act and react like the impression you are playing - it starts with being outfitted right, then goes on to using the right commands (in the right language) and operating tactically as that unit would.

If you have an interest in WW2 history it really offers a way for history to come alive - if you are willing to give it a try and can find a good group to run with.
            If only I could be half the man my dog thinks I am

Comment

What does a reenactor do

What's it like being a reenactor? What does a reenactor do?
              Scott - That depends on the person and the unit they belong to. Many people including myself like to think we are people who are experimenting with History. My interests are mainly in WW1. I have read many, many books on the subject. I collect Imperial German Militaria and postcards. I dragged my wife to Belgium to visit WW1 battlefields.

Unfortunately for me no book or battlefield tour could really explain to me how it might've felt to sit in a listening post in No Man's land, make a trench raid on a French Trenchline or can give justice to what a MG08 sounds when it fires a full burst. Reenacting gave me the chance to find out these things. I fully understand it will never re-place the real fear of not returning from a mission but it does let me explore "the Art of Trench Warfare."

Now I consider myself a "Historical Interpreter." A person who tries to get into the moment by wearing as much authentic items as humanly possible. I only use the correct uniform and equipment that a common soldier may have used. (The general rule is to reenact the norm and not the exception) I also only carry in my pockets what a German Soldat may have had and go from there.

Reenacting is what you put into it and it can be very rewarding experience. I will tell you right off the bat -- you should do your own research and take the time to learn about your impression. This way if you ever get the chance to do a living history program (that is talking to the "tourons or John Q public" and you will be able to explain to them who you are, what you carry, why you carry it and how it was carried. Of course if you portray German you will have to explain why you portray the other side too.

I have a general rule when I do "living history" - "if I can get one kid to put down his x-box or playstation controller and pick up a history book and read about some of the things I showed him." I personally felt that I have accomplished something. It does not happen all the time but sometimes you feel that a conversation really does sink in.

After all that's how I got into reenacting in 1979. I attended a Civil War Reenactment/Living history talked to a guy and he really got me thinking. A few months later I joined his unit and the rest is "history."

For more information about living history and why we do it - Check out our units website http://www.ir459.org . It has lots of cool tid-bits about living history and such. BTW we are a WW1 Imperial German unit that strives to be as authentic as possible.

Good luck,
              Hope to see you in Feldgrau one day...

Max Stiebritz
              8K/IR459
              Last edited by maxstiebritz; 09-19-2005, 05:04 PM.

Comment

More or less everything has been said.

We have a unit booklet we hand out at public events, its also on our site, its a pdf so you will need acrobat reader to see it

http://www.grossdeutschland.com/BROC...20Brochure.pdf

Comment

Stitch Nazi! i love that expression ...i'm one of em
                  won't wear it for my FJ impression unless its Sehr Gut und Richtig.
                  My only piece of advise is decide 100% what you want to portray,stick with it and do it properly,ive meet people here in the U.K. who change their uniforms like there unterhosen,personally i've been doing Fallschirmjager for the last 7 years,i wouldn't touch anything else
                  one more thing don't buy anything until you have decided what unit you wish to join as they will have a list of vendors that they use,you don't want to look the odd one out.
                  Here is our website in the U.K. www.fjr2.org.uk
                  Reenactment is fun and rewarding,you will get out of it,what you put in.
                  Regards
                  Bob

Comment

I've gotten a kick out of the WWI and WWII replies to this, since it seems so much is shared with US Civil War reenacting and all its variations. I never did WWI or WWII but was a CW "hard core" for 20 years. The "hard core" designation was used for units that traveled and camped "campaign style" as opposed to living in tents at events, and tried to portray what a particular unit in a particularly setting may have really appeared like. Of course I started as a "farb" (gray cotton JC Penney work shirt for a Confederate uniform, Boy Scout canteen, etc) but the unit gradually went hard core. We had "stitch Nazis" too (I were one!) but called them thread counters.

I got the most enjoyment out of the camaraderie with my pards, but as for types of events, I enjoyed two the most:

- Large scripted battle reenactments where we researched and portrayed a specific unit. Nothing quite like advancing in a full brigade formation with three 2-300 man regiments in the front line and two in support, and watching 20 Yankee guns and lots of infantry open up to oppose you...

- Smaller living history events for the public, to show the public what some aspects of the CW may have really been like. I agree with Max - any time we could get kids really interested was a reward.

Then there are the "magic moments" where it's almost as if you're "there..." I imagine it's the same in WWII reenacting.

Greg
                    sigpicFacebook "Tigers in the Ardennes" book page
                    www.facebook.com/TigersintheArdennes

Comment

Hey.
                      I only do American civil war re-enacting, but for the very same reasons max stiebritz is explaining. I have about 600 books about the american civil war, and have been intrested in the subject since childhood, but there is nothing like wearing the same type of cloths, marching, sleeping and eating the way those guys did to really get the idea right how that life was.
                      Not to mention firing a volley in the ranks of an entire battalion..

Some of the best memories of my life is from big civil war re-enactments in the states.

Tom

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X