BunkerMilitaria

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I would like to meet some local Vets....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would like to meet some local Vets....

But how do I find them?

Hi Will, although I am in the UK and we have the British Legion and various other Vets associations, I think the same will apply to you in the States.

Try your local Veterans associations like the VFW, American Legion etc. Most towns will have a branch I think? And if like the UK they will have a club house? Try the phone book and the 'net. Contact them there and explain that you are interested in their service to their country. My interest is as you know WW2, but it is always worth hearing from men who served in the post war period too. Most old soldiers will be happy to talk to you. Being a younger collector I am sure many will be glad that your generation is interested in what they did. Ask plenty of questions, but don't press them about things they don't wish to talk about. I find that most will tell you the funny things they and their comrades did and less about the horrors they saw. Be respectful and don't ask for souvenirs. Talking with these guys is VERY rewarding. Ask if you can take notes if your memory is not too good. Once you have got to know someone better over a period of time ask if you can tape or video them talking about their service. Many wlll have photos to show I really like to see these.

Hope this helps?

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

I'm doing something simmilar and I agree with Adrian, the VFW is a goldmine because chances are you'll talk to one guy and he'll tell you "You should talk to soandso from the club." and it snowballs from there.

One thing that has been great for me, and may work for you when you're back in the states (only really useful in small towns) is to check the honor roll. Unfortunately you'll probably have to check the cemetery afterwards to narrow down the search.

ZaCK

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
      X