X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OMG - have you seen these yet? Germany 1945 - restored by George Stevens

These are SPECTACULAR!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hwy8SzVmWGc

Restored once again - but in so much better quality.

Great footage in original color
    Thanks for posting

Comment

film

That was cool to see the film . My father was there at the end of the war he had to stay there for another year after the war. He is 93 now still gets around good . Cliff

Comment

I have seen some of that footage in "Five Came Back" on Netflix.
        Some German civilians are surprisingly healthy. Some are actually fat!

Comment

I just can't get over how much better the restored version of the Stevens film is.

I hope some day there will be more restoration work completed on his other films - and maybe even to the films by some of the other filmographers.

Comment

Hi,

10.15, hidden dot pattern tunic under a tunic stripped of SS tabs ?

See You

Vince
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by FrenchVolunteer View Post
              Hi,

10.15, hidden dot pattern tunic under a tunic stripped of SS tabs ?

See You

Vince

Looks like WH tabs to me . . . but Yes, I think he may have been attempting to hide.

Comment

The entire panoply of human expression spans those films.

Comment

Wow! that is great, thanks for sharing, Smitty.

Comment

Thanks for sharing this impressive document

As a dagger collector I liked especially to see this Russian soldier dancing with his war booty ... apparently a German Luftwaffe dagger in his boot
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by N.C. Wyeth View Post
                      These are SPECTACULAR!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hwy8SzVmWGc

Restored once again - but in so much better quality.
                      There's only 16 minutes of footage, is it an extract from a longer documentary?

Comment

Parts of George Steven's footage was released around the middle 90's.....Quality back than was pretty good, so I wonder why it needed restoration?....Perhaps having it transferred to digital was what they did?....GS's son was instrumental in getting the film saved from deterioration, as it had been poorly stored....Lucky for those studying this time period, as the color footage really brings the history to life....Bodes

Comment

Originally posted by Manalishi View Post
                          There's only 16 minutes of footage, is it an extract from a longer documentary?
                          There was an hour documentary ("From Normandy to Berlin") released back in the nineties.....I recognize quite a bit of this footage, but noticed some I hadn't seen....This leads me to believe, some may not have yet been released.....Bodes

Btw....His son (Stevens) noted this footage was never intended to be released, but was part of his father's personal collection....Bodes

Comment

I watched this as soon as i first read your post, its very very cool! It really connected the standard Black and white to something "living" and makes you think!

On the side does anyone know if any footage was taken like this that we haven't seen yet especially in Austria when the Croatians surrendered?

Best REgards,

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
                              I watched this as soon as i first read your post, its very very cool! It really connected the standard Black and white to something "living" and makes you think!

On the side does anyone know if any footage was taken like this that we haven't seen yet especially in Austria when the Croatians surrendered?

Best REgards,

Pete
                              I'm not sure the film crew ever got into Austria....A section of footage shows the link up between the Russian and American troops at the river Elbe....They also made a stop at the Dachau concentration camp, and Berlin after clearance from the Soviets.....Bodes

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X