Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jo Dognin's War - From Providence I.R to Omaha Beach

hello guys,

im very proud to show you the diary of my great uncle, a french business man who lived in providence R.I before getting involved in WWII....he saw some major actions and Officers...i let you read to discover. This research took my cousins and I around 5 years...my motivations was to get infos behind his french/US helmet marks and all these discussions with him before he died.

By 1942, Charles De Gaulle had established French representation in London and in Washington D.C. where there was also representation in the form of the French Embassy and “la Mission Militaire Française” which was tied to London.
    Joseph Dognin volunteered for the duration of the war at the “Mission Militaire Française” on Dec. 20th, 1942. He had left behind his wife Anne-Marie and 6 children in Providence, RI. He was
    formally accepted on March 3rd, 1943 into “1’ Arm des transmissions”..Communications or Signal Corps.

Effective April 1st , 1943, his rank was “Aspirant”. He was confirmed and sworn in to his unit by Division General Bethouard on April 17th , 1943. On April 25th , he was detached to Fort Benning, Georgia - US Army Infantry School for basic training. His training was completed on June 12 th , 1943 [Duration 49 days]. From there, he was assigned to North African Operations.

August 14th , he embarked on board a ship in New York. The ship’s name is not known.
    September 1st , he disembarked in Oran, Algeria. [~19 days at sea]
    Immediately sent to Algiers: attached for 2 months to the French Liaison mission in Algiers. While in Algiers, he is attached to the London offices as “Administrative Liaison” – 2nd Class” effective October 2nd, 1943.
    Effective November 11th, 1943, he is promoted to “Sous-Lieutenant T.T.”

November 28th , 1943, S/Lieutenant Dognin embarks in Algiers aboard the SS Monarch of Bermuda.
    December 24 th, 1943, he disembarks at Liverpool, England [~26-days at sea]. He volunteers for liaison courses in London with further studies in Dorking School on February 1st, 1944 – Completes with the title of Instructor.
    Jo Dognin receives permanent promotion to S/Lieutenant
    This is continued by further training at ”Civilian Defense Staff College” of Cobhan 13 on March 25th.

This phase of training finishes on July 19th, 1944 before joining forces at Omaha Beach.

(notes written from my great uncle in 1985)

The correct date for arrival at Omaha Beach was July 26th (D-Day+50).
    He immediately joined Bradley’s HQ in Isigny that day. Based on Dognin’s tequest, he is attached to Tactical Liaison Mission for the US 12th Army Group –
    reporting to “Colonel Chef” of the Military Tactical Liaison Mission [French Commandant le Bel] on July 26th. This group works as liaison to Brig. Gen. Edwin L. Sibert whose boss is Gen. Omar N. Bradley – head of US XIIth Army
    Group.

Information once he is in France is extremely sparse.....according to Bradley’s book (he gave him as a gift after the war)

(JD = Jo Dognin)
    p. 382: J.D. was gathering intelligence on German movements/progress relative to the Argentan-Falaise trap.
    p. 382: In contact with French Gen. Leclerc [2nd French Armored Div.] on aug. 22nd
    ; with Gen Patton 4th Infantry Div. moving in from Melun behind Leclerc.
    p. 383: J.D. is one of two emissaries sent to Paris to meet with Michel Porteau, head of Regional Resistance in Rambouillet.
    P. 388-389 – Note: The term “FFI” is used.
    p. 390: Read J.D.’s underlines.
    p. 391: With Swedish Consul Raoul Nordling’s movements, thru G-2 to Patton HQ near Chartres, to Bradley in Laval where JD was interpreter there. (p. 392).
    p. 392: “incident Gerow” with JD as interpreter- communications with Gen. Leclerc

G-2 role in crossing the Rhine and in Germany noting that Dognin accomplished many liaison missions including Munchen, Maestricht, Munchen-Gladbach, Münster, Hanover, and Braunschwig. Jo Dognin indicates in his copy of Gen. Bradley’s “A Soldier’s Story” that Braunschwig was the “last stop for J.D.”
    (p. 538). Note that the commanding general of the Ninth US Army, Gen. Simpson, was also in Braunschwig ... according to Bradley himself [see Ite
    m No. 4 in Index – p. 554] who had just called Gen. Simpson at 6:30 PM (...
    Simpson occupied the commandant’s quarters of a Luftwaffe headquarters at Brunswick) to leave a message from Ike. The message was: “... the Germans have surrendered” ... it takes effect at midnight, May 8th.” The war in Europe had ended.
    we know that Jo Dognin remains in Germany on occupation status from May 9th
    through may 31st, 1945. By the end of the war, Jo Dognin is assigned
    to the Military Mission for German Affaires in Paris on May 31st , 1945. It is unclear what that implies. Jo Dognin is now in Paris. Where? What is
    he doing? For how long? Many questions, few answers !
    sigpic

-=Always looking for French cadets infos at Shaw Field South Carolina 1944=-

: his awards and citations :

Citation by order of the Division No. 111 of July 27 1945

Voluntarily engaged in the Military Mission of French Liaison the 20th
    December, 1942 in Washington (USA):
    Has executed as assistant to the Colonel, commander of the Military Mission for the benefit of the American 12th Army Group several important reconnaissance missions in the course of combat for the liberation of National Territory. In particular, the 5th of August , 1944, participated before the arrival of American units to the occupation of the Coëtquidan*camp and the 22nd
    of August, 1944, penetrated ahead of the first American units to reco
    nnoiter under enemy fire the enemy’s defenses in the villages of les
    Essarts and Chateaufort , thereby permitting forward advance of these
    units towards Paris.

American Citation dated 22 May, 1945:

Lieutenant Joseph M. E. DOGNIN No. 40 participant from 15th December, 1944 to 29th March, 1945 in the American 9thArmy (G2) , demonstrated remarkable initiative and conscientiousness in his work that contributed significantly to the
    success of this operation. The services rendered by Lieutenant DOGNIN proved to be inestimable for the 9th Army at the time of the ROER Rivercrossing and the RHINE crossing and the penetration that followed in the German provinces
    east of the RHINE
    Attached Files
    sigpic

Comment

a photo of him with Christopher Del Sesto, governor of R.I

Attached Files
      sigpic

Comment

Coming in a little late, but Thank you so much for sharing this with us, this is absolutely amazing!!

Comment

Originally posted by Andy C. View Post
          Coming in a little late, but Thank you so much for sharing this with us, this is absolutely amazing!!
          Oh my, I missed it the first time around. Fantastic grouping. Definitely something to be very proud about. Love the helmet!
          When you go home
          Tell them for us and say
          For your tomorrow
          We gave our today

--Inscription in the 5th Marine Division cemetery,
          Iwo Jima 1945

Comment

hah thank you guys
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by H.W Plainview View Post
              hah thank you guys
              It is truly a shame that nobody commented on it (for whatever reason) when it first came out (4 years ago!). At times, I just do not understand the Forum. Sometimes, someone will post an average, no decaled M42 helmet and it will generate pages and pages of responses. And then someone posts a rare grouping like this one and nobody says anything. Crazy. Thank you for sharing HM, I say again, it is a very special grouping. Thank you for taking the time to share it with us. And thank you to Andy for noticing this thread and bringing it to my attention!
              When you go home
              Tell them for us and say
              For your tomorrow
              We gave our today

Iwo Jima 1945

Comment

Thanks for posting this all up, what a fascinating career had. Surely very intense work he was involved in..and probably got very little sleep. I imagine post war he was then just too busy to write any memoir, that would surely have been very revealing! Thanks again, an uncle to be very proud of.

Comment

" the services rendered proved to be inestimable for the 9th Army" ....that really is great !

Comment

thank you very much guys, I must admit I got a little surprised by the lack of comments as it is a really awesome story but ...oh well...this is internet....your comments are great enough

much appreciated !
                    sigpic

Comment

thank you very much guys, I must admit I got a little surprised by the lack of comments as it is a really awesome story but ...oh well...this is internet....your comments are great enough

much appreciated !
                      HW, is there a governmental department in France where you can write and request a copy of the military files of Monsieur Dognin? Is there an equivalent department like in the US or Germany? If so, it would be very interesting to see his records!
                      When you go home
                      Tell them for us and say
                      For your tomorrow
                      We gave our today

Iwo Jima 1945

Comment

yes here are his records !

Voluntarily engaged in the Military Mission of French Liaison the 20th December, 1942 in Washington (USA):

Has executed as assistant to the Colonel, commander of the Military Mission for the benefit of the American 12th Army Group several important reconnaissance missions in the course of combat for the liberation of National Territory. In particular, the 5th of August , 1944, participated before the arrival of American units to the occupation of the Coëtquidan* camp and the 22nd of August, 1944, penetrated ahead of the first American units to reconnoiter under enemy fire the enemy’s defenses in the villages of les Essarts and Chateaufort, thereby permitting forward advance of these units towards Paris.

Lieutenant Joseph M. E. DOGNIN No. 40 participant from 15th December, 1944 to 29th March, 1945 in the American 9th Army (G2), demonstrated remarkable initiative and conscientiousness in his work that contributed significantly to the success of this operation.

The services rendered by Lieutenant DOGNIN proved to be inestimable for the 9th Army at the time of the ROER River crossing and the RHINE crossing and the penetration that followed in the German provinces east of the RHINE.
                        Attached Files
                        sigpic

Comment

yes here are his records !

Voluntarily engaged in the Military Mission of French Liaison the 20th December, 1942 in Washington (USA):

Has executed as assistant to the Colonel, commander of the Military Mission for the benefit of the American 12th Army Group several important reconnaissance missions in the course of combat for the liberation of National Territory. In particular, the 5th of August , 1944, participated before the arrival of American units to the occupation of the Coëtquidan* camp and the 22nd of August, 1944, penetrated ahead of the first American units to reconnoiter under enemy fire the enemy’s defenses in the villages of les Essarts and Chateaufort, thereby permitting forward advance of these units towards Paris.

Lieutenant Joseph M. E. DOGNIN No. 40 participant from 15th December, 1944 to 29th March, 1945 in the American 9th Army (G2), demonstrated remarkable initiative and conscientiousness in his work that contributed significantly to the success of this operation.

The services rendered by Lieutenant DOGNIN proved to be inestimable for the 9th Army at the time of the ROER River crossing and the RHINE crossing and the penetration that followed in the German provinces east of the RHINE.
                          Amazing!!
                          When you go home
                          Tell them for us and say
                          For your tomorrow
                          We gave our today

Iwo Jima 1945

Comment

Thanks for sharing. I really enjoyed reading this historical story.

Comment

thank you guys for reading it
                              sigpic

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X